Chapter 1

The sound of scraping metal on stone woke me from my blissful sleep. Orange sunlight shone beneath my eyelids and I sat up, looking blearily at the young girl who was cleaning out my fireplace.

"Miss, are you ready to prepare for the day?" Ida asked politely, rising from the cinders and wiping more black streaks on her dirty apron.

"Absolutely not," I mumbled, stifling a yawn as Ida laughed. Three of my maids rushed in, making the bed and removing my nightgown. In a matter of seconds, I was soaking in a warm bath with rose petals scattered across the water.

"What is the special occasion?" I laughed, pinching a soft petal between my slim fingers.

My new maid, a wisp of a girl, replied barely above a whisper. "The Prince's nineteenth birthday gala is tonight and you have been invited to sing."

My eyes dropped to my bare knees and I exhaled.

Why me? He could pick anyone and he's heard me sing many times. Breathe Amelia... Just get through the night.

I smiled and gestured for the maids to begin cleaning me. Then, after I was scrubbed thoroughly, I was dried and wrapped in a thin robe. Ida brushed through my wet hair as the others rubbed a nice smelling salve into my dry skin. As my hair dried I painfully donned a corset and tights. My maids then led me to the dressing room and I glanced in the large mirror to my right. My brown hair fell in loose, wet waves to my waist and my ice blue eyes seemed to glow in the sunlight. My freckles seemed to jump out of my face in the soft light.

"Close your eyes, Amelia. This is a surprise." A familiar voice said behind me. My heart stopped and I immediately whirled around to see Clara. My childhood memories rushed back. I squealed with glee and ran to her, throwing my arms around her. She grinned.

"How are you even here?" I asked, holding her close, "I thought you were still in service to the Princess."

"I can't tell you." She pursed her lips with sparkling eyes and folded her hands in front of her. I glared at her teasingly and she laughed. "All right! I'll tell you, but you have to stay quiet about it." I nodded enthusiastically, willing her to go on. "The Princess is betrothed." She whispered.

"How exciting!" I gasped, "But it doesn't explain why you are no longer in her service." Clara just waved her hand dismissively and pushed me back in front of the mirror.

"Something about her getting new servants from her betrothed. The bright side is that I will be back to serving you-" Clara dropped into an exaggerated curtsy, "Milady." I smiled and composed myself again.

"Now close your eyes." I followed her orders and put my arms above my head, ready for Clara's newest find. She always did find the most beautiful gowns. I felt heavy fabric sliding over my petite frame. They laced it loosely and when I opened my eyes I certainly got a nice surprise.

"It's incredible!" I exclaimed, and it truly was.

The dress was tight to my waist then flowered out in large swells of dark red satin. The bodice wrapped around my rib cage flatteringly then ended just above my hips. The long, puffed sleeves ended at my shoulders, leaving them and my clavicles exposed. When the maids laced it up fully I got a real look at how well it was tailored, with lovely golden embroidery matching beautifully with the deep crimson color of the fabric. Considering the weight, it was surprisingly easy to move in the dress. The skirts hung comfortably on my hips and the bodice hugged my torso.

"How in heaven's name did you get this?" I admired my reflection in the mirror, in awe of the woman standing in front of me.

"I used the last of my pay and a favor," Clara said softly and smiled.