Prologue

Silence. Nothing could be heard but the nervous breaths of the young Prince. Golden ribbons of evening light seeped through the windows, casting on the furniture and floor of the study.

"What do you think, Majesty? Would you like to go through with it?" The cool voice of the King's advisor echoed throughout the room and the Prince let out a steady breath.

"If it is my father's wish, it shall be done. Just let the girl know that this is not my doing." A sarcastic smile twisted his calm demeanor as he gripped the arms of his chair with white fingers. The advisor leaned back in his tall wooden chair and tapped his fingers on the armrest, smiling wickedly.

"How right you are, Highness." He gave a thin smile and signed the document in front of him, slid it to the Prince and offered him a quill.

The Prince took it and, with a heavy sigh, signed it. He then folded and stamped it with the royal seal, then slid it back to the advisor. With a triumphant smirk, the advisor called in the Royal Messenger and handed him the letter.

"Deliver it to the Sauveterre House and see that the girl comes. Go." The advisor instructed. When the messenger left the silence returned, the tension in the air like a drawn bowstring.

"I don't want this," the Prince broke the silence, "I do not want the girl to be insulted, my name soiled in her eyes. I just want things to continue as they are." The Prince exhaled and ran his hand through his hair. He leaned back in his chair, folding his arms across his chest defiantly.

"You will understand in time, young master. This action will mold your future. You must embrace it and try."