Drabble #22-The New Farmhand

"Howdy! Welcome to Rough n' Tumbleweed Ranch!" a young, well-built imp seemingly in his teens greeted. "Ya here for the vacant spot as a farmhand?"

"That's right, sir." 

"There ain't need to be so formal, partner! Ya may call me Jack." the young imp said amiably. "My pa's at the corrals wranglin' the cattle with my older brothers. Ya can take a look around if you wish in the meantime." 

"WHOAAAA! A COW GOT LOOSE! SOMEBODY STOP IT!"

Striker turned around just in time to see said animal charging through the gate and towards...

"JAKE!" 

The impling had crawled towards the main path while following a butterfly, not realizing that he was about to get trampled. Striker didn't think about it: he ran in front of his son, facing the cow with outstretched arms. As the animal lowered its head to tackle him with its horns, Striker grabbed them and, in an incredible fit of strength, threw the massive creature a few meters away. With the cow taken care of, Striker quickly picked up his son to check for any injuries.

"Jake, are ya okay?!" 

The impling had no idea of the danger he was in seconds ago. He merely giggled and clapped his hands at his father.

"Sweet Satan, that was incredible! I thought ya were goners for a moment there, pal!" Striker looked to the source of the voice: a burly Imp with a white mustache. He looked like he was the boss around here.

"I wasn't gonna let my boy get trampled." 

"Ye're here for the farmhand job? If that's so, yer hired!" Striker blinked in surprise.

"Are you sure, sir? I mean, thank you, but I thought you'd interview me first..."

"There's no need to, my friend! A man who can literally grab a bull by the horns is exactly what I'm lookin' for! Name's Joe, mister..." 

"Clayton Velkan, but ya may call me Striker, sir."