04.

The next morning when Hiraeth woke up she had completely forgotten about Prince Denton. She didn't try to forget about him or anything, her mind had just decided that he was really not worth taking up space in her memories. The new princes she had been meeting had started blending together in a mass of handsome, well-dressed strangers. She wasn't lying when she said Denton seemed nice, she wouldn't mind marrying him, she didn't see marriage as a very important occurrence anyway, just something she had to do, like a chore or her lessons. Love was the absolute farthest thing from her mind.

Hiraeth went about her normal morning routine, her attendants helped her get dressed and ready for the day, and she started off for breakfast in the smaller dining hall reserved for the less fancy meals. She usually either ate alone or invited her servants to eat with her since her mother and sisters always ate before her or skipped the meal altogether, they were much busier than her.

Today however she entered the hall and was surprised to see Prince Denton, casually enjoying the start of his meal. He smiled and stood up to greet her with a polite bow when she entered and she curtsied with a startled look on her face, finally recalling the events of the previous night. She walked to her normal chair, which was across from where he was sitting at the moderately long table, and sat down.

She shook the dazed look off her face and gave the cook who was waiting beside the table her breakfast order: a slice of ham, two pieces of bread and a glass of milk. Breakfast wasn't her favorite meal, she preferred to get it over with quickly so she could go about the rest of her day.

She glanced at Prince Denton's plate and realized he must have just gotten there also, hardly any of his food had been touched. He had sat back down when she sat and continued eating, which wasn't exactly rude since he had been eating before anyway. She smiled politely and was relieved when her food arrived. She almost always asked for the same things for breakfast so the cooks kept it all hot and ready most mornings.

They continued the meal in a very professional manner and slowly transitioned into two friends just enjoying conversation and company.

    "How long did you say you were staying again?" Hiraeth asked in between dainty bites of bread.

"Er- what day is it- " he started, covering his mouth while he finished chewing the ham he had taken a bite of. "Oh, right, 5 more days I believe," he answered, setting his silverware down on the now empty plate.

"Right, sorry I have a terrible memory," she apologized. She quickly finished her own food and then a servant came and took both of their plates.

He stood up, brushing off his suit and walking around the table, and offering her his hand to help her up in a very gentlemanly fashion. She took it, thanking him, and then they started toward the doors of the dining hall.

"Are you busy at the moment? Because if you're available I would love to take you up on that garden tour offer," he said, holding the door for her.

"I have lessons in about an hour, but I don't have anything until then so we could probably make it through most of the garden before I have to go and get ready for that."

"Alright, wonderful. Lead the way, your highness!" She immediately shot him a look that meant, "never call me that again," so he laughed a little and said, "Sorry, sorry. Lead the way, Hiraeth."

She nodded in approval and they made their way to the garden entrance furthest from the prisons. It wasn't too far from the dining hall so soon enough they were breathing in the fresh air and Denton looked in his element. She led him through the small hedge maze and to each of the ornate fountains, pointing out her favorite features along the way.