Chapter Five: Stranger Danger

When I got back to the party, I could see Caroline and Stefan talking on the park's gazebo. She was evidently annoying him, so I made my way towards the two of them. As soon as Stefan saw me, he seemed relieved. I had originally planned on leaving because of what had happened, but I decided that I would rather stay. Mostly because Elena wasn't with Stefan.

"Hey, Caroline." I called. She took her time in looking from Stefan to me. Her eyebrows shot up, as if to say, "why are you bothering me?". "Bonnie was looking for you." I told her. Of course, it was a lie, but I was used to lying to get what I wanted.

She shot Stefan an almost longing look before excusing herself.

"My savior." Stefan chuckled, smiling as he did so. I smiled too.

"She can be a bit... talkative... sometimes." I apologized on her behalf. She couldn't help the fact that she was so bubbly.

"I've noticed." He agreed, leaning up against the gazebo's railing and crossing his arms. It fell silent for a moment, until he broke the silence again. "Is everything alright?" He suddenly asked.

I met his eyes, searching them for an answer. They offered none. "I haven't had the best night." I confided.

"Why's that- if I may ask." He pressed on. I almost laughed at his politeness.

"It's fine." I assured him. "It's just that Tyler Lockwood is a dick and Matt Donovan is as bipolar as a teenage girl."

Once again, he chuckled. I savored the sound, wishing that I could close my eyes and wrap myself up in the noise. It was velvety, dark, and soft, like dark chocolate. I hadn't heard a laugh quite like it.

"I'm sorry that you're having relationship problems." He offered. I shrugged.

"Not my problem." I said, smiling. "I'm not really with either one of them. It's a long story..."

"I'll listen, if you'd like me to." He offered. I studied his eyes and opened my mouth to tell him that he didn't have to, but he was probably the only person who wouldn't judge me for what I would say. Or maybe he would. I didn't know.

"Not here." I answered. "Let's go down to the Falls."

•••

When we got down to the Falls, no one was there. "Your sister showed me this earlier." He told me. I felt a surge of jealousy rise up in me, but I didn't let it show.

"She seems to do stuff like that a lot." I replied, hearing a bit of venom in my voice.

"She does what?" He asked, furrowing his eyebrows.

I shook my head. "She's just the one who decides to take new arrivals under her wing. Saint Elena, you know." I joked, causing him to smile.

He looked out over the water and it became silent for a moment. But then, he broke the silence. "So you and Matt?" He asked me.

I sighed. It was going to take a while to explain. "Did Elena tell you they dated?" I asked him. He nodded.

"She said there was no passion in the relationship." He elaborated.

I scoffed. "There wasn't." I confirmed. "That was because he was sleeping with me."

Stefan turned to look at me.

"I didn't want it to happen." I admitted. "He and I had been talking for a while, but neither of us made a move." He nodded in understanding. "Then Elena stepped in and they got together."

"Did she know that you two were..." He trailed off.

"She knew that I liked him before they got together, yes." I explained. "She didn't know that we were hooking up while they were together, though."