20. Turbulence

Your POV
Now that I know SHIELD is going after the same information, it makes things a lot easier. I took what I needed and headed to SHIELD, asking to meet Nick Fury.

"He's not taking any visitors." The receptionist replied. I should have known that Nick Fury is not easy to meet.

"Tell him I'm from NSA." He relayed the information and gave me the go ahead. I was met with who I am pretty sure was his right-hand man, Maria Hill. She led me into his office.

"You better have a good damn reason for meeting me." Fury started off.

"Yes. I came across your agent earlier, Agent Romanoff, while she was on a mission to collect data from Chimera Corporation. I also need the information." I explained my situation to him.

"And why should we give you?"

"We think that Chimera is dealing arms under its cover." I try to show him that we really need the information. "You can keep the information, I just need a copy of it." I pleaded.

He thinks about it for a few seconds before giving me the USB stick. "I trust that you have a reason for it."

"I thought you don't trust."

"We have the same goal here." I nodded and left his office.

---

As I got home, I saw that my lights were on. I remember turning them off before I left. I grabbed my pistol from my back and slowly made my way across the room, clearing left and right. There was still no sight of anyone until I made my way to my office.

"Aurora Bright! Why the hell are you here?" I see her sitting in my chair.

"Apollo told me to collect the information from you."

"Why does he need it?" I started to panic, I haven't had a chance to go through the information and it is getting whisked away from me?

"I am following orders." I flinched at her words and took out the USB stick from my pocket and gave it to her with my shaking hand. "You should adjust your posture if you really wanted to shoot me." She whispered into my ears before leaving.

I immediately dialed Ester that Aurora was here.

You:
Why the hell does Apollo wants the information?

Ester:
What do you mean?

You:
Aurora was here to collect the USB on behalf of Apollo.

Ester:
There's nothing we can do now. We have to wait for the next occasion.

I put my hands through my hair. Nick Fury is not going to be happy about this. I scream in frustration, not knowing what to do next. Just then, I heard the doorbell ring, so I got up angrily and made my way to the door.

"Hi..." Natalie is standing in front of my door.

I stared at her for a few moments before steading myself. "What are you doing here?" I questioned.

"I heard you went to Fury."

"So?" I replied bluntly.

"Do you mind if I enter?" I opened the door wider and let her in. "So you're one getting the information too?" I keep quiet. There's no need to reply if she already knows the answer. I went to my bar and grabbed a glass of whiskey. "You are from the NSA?" I let her continue talking. "Talk to me!"

"What do you want me to say?" I finally let it break.

"Look, I'm sorry for not telling you I am an Avenger, I'm sorry for avoiding you after the party, I'm sorry for leaving you behind."

"Enough..." I turn my back to her, letting out a shaky breath, not letting her know that a tear slipped. "You can leave now."

"I'm not leaving, not after I know I truly love you."

"Both of us know that it is dangerous to be together." I turn and face her. "It would not work."

"We can make it work. We can get through this together." Natalie takes a step closer to me. I look down at the floor, this is all very new to me. Vulnerability is possibly what I am feeling right now. One part of me wants to accept her again, to feel her touch, to be in her embrace. Another part of me knows I am going to hurt her again.

But now, I really want her. Tearing streaming down, I squatted down and buried my face in my knees. "I'm sorry for not telling you what I worked for... I was already retired but I got back in again after I met you."  Natalie went down on her knees and put her arms around me, rubbing my back, calming me down.

We spent an hour sitting on the uncomfortable floor.

"I'm sorry."

"Baby, stop saying sorry. It's okay." She cooed. "Let's get you to bed."