Prologue

Cover by Rainbow_Sparkles :)

Prologue:

Popular was a powerful word with an even more powerful meaning.

It created some people, and destroyed others. Sometimes it protected you, while other times it bullied you. Maybe it accepted you, or maybe it pushed you down. It could start or end anyone. But most importantly, no matter who you were, it changed you.

And at Westbrook High School, popular didn't just give you power, but gave you all the power.

And the only thing more important than popular was power.

I don't remember when it began, but I was sick of it. Tired of people commanding others around, and tired of people acting like they were better than you when they weren't. It wasn't natural that people didn't actually know if they had the right to boss people around. People needed to be shown their places. I was fed up with people ordering me around. I was going to give the power to those who deserved it.

But maybe that was weird. Maybe all this power and popularity was ruining us. It wouldn't have been hard to believe if we were living in some sort of corrupt society. Because maybe popularity and power shouldn't have meant that much to anyone, or maybe it shouldn't have meant anything at all.

But it did. And quite frankly, it meant a lot.

So I decided I was going to show people their place. I was going to go to lengths no one had gone to before.

But I hadn't known the truths of popularity back then. Not truly.

Because in reality, popular was an ugly word. A dangerous one.

And, perhaps most importantly, a powerful one.

And creating a Popularity Scale for everyone to read, even if it was done anonymously, was a dangerous thing to do. It gave you the power to do anything popularity could do.

It gave you the power to create or end anyone.

Anyone.