Happy Birthday

Jessa's pov

It took two hours to get her ready. Around two I injected her again, I zipped my bag. We only have one more injection that means we just have today to find the fifth one or we are screwed. We all have kept our eyes open for any kind of signal from Arlen but he is still missing. We also spied on few kids we thought are different like a girl in our class who I caught sitting in an empty room looking at a pencil in a distance as if trying to talk to it but later we found out it was her way to meditate. Among the three of us, we spent every waking hour since we came back from the orchard palace searching for the fifth defender wherever we went but no luck. And Grace didn't make things easier running off like she did yesterday and Jimmy told me that she saw the injections which I thought she didn't because she didn't ask anything about it. She suspects something is up but she still hasn't talked to us about it. I looked at her when she turned around to look at herself in the mirror.

No expression, it's been like that since yesterday. Her face is void of any expressions. All through the party, she was trying to avoid the spotlight as if it wasn't her party. And today, the moment her parents left the room her shoulders droop, she was not interested in anything we talked about and when we pushed a little further she told us she has a headache and talking makes it worse.

Headache? I scoffed internally. Up until last month, not even a world pandemic could have made her stop talking. We asked if she liked the car she got yesterday, now, if she was fine then she would have talked a hundred miles per hour about that car but she just nodded. I looked at Ri and found her looking back at me with a worried expression.

Grace got up and picked the butterfly earing from their box and put them on. Ri left her hair naturally wavy but curled few strands which framed her face.

"Something is missing," Ri said while patting her chin with her index finger.

"Maybe this," I said holding out the necklace Grace's parents gave her today.

"That's perfect!" Ri said and help her wear it.

"Yep, I am done." She said and stepped back to look at her.

She looked great, the dress was light blue which faded into white at the skirt, and had intricate golden swirls all over it. Ri should really consider a job in the fashion industry because I bet there are millions of people out there in dire need of her help.

"Let's find the perfect footwear for this and you will be done," Ri said and disappeared into the closet.

I picked up my phone only to find a miss call from Jimmy.

Why is he calling? I thought he was supposed to come over by now.

I looked at Grace who was busy in her world, looking outside the window at the sky.

I sighed and left the room and dialed Jimmy in the hallway, but found him waiting at the staircase.

"What are you-"

"I will explain later. Grace's partner-" Jimmy started

"You mean her date?" I said while smirking

He gave me stink eyes. " Her partner is here."

"Oh, already?" I checked my watch, it's three forty-five. " Well he is early, that's what you are so worked up about? She is almost ready I will go and get her-"

"No that's not what I am worried about, do you know who her partner is?"

"Some dude name Sid. Why?"

He shook his head " Do you know his full name?"

"Will you stop playing games and tell me already" I rolled my eyes.