Chapter Four : Halfway Happy

EXT. MELVALD'S DRUG STORE – AFTERNOON – SUNNY

We gradually ZOOM OUT from a window display for LUX DISH LIQUID, which includes an ADVERTISEMENT of a nuclear family at a table stacked with clean white plates. LONNIE and JOYCE enter into FRAME and climb off LONNIE'S MOTORCYCLE.

LONNIE

I have the budding suspicion that wasn't your first time on one of these.

JOYCE

Well I thought it'd make you feel good to think that for a while.

LONNIE

Huh. I see I'll have to keep my wits about me with you, Joyce.

INT. MELVALD'S DRUG STORE – AFTERNOON

JOYCE and LONNIE enter and walk passed an unattended COUNTER.

LONNIE

How about it Bonnie, it's right there for the taking?

JOYCE wonders if LONNIE'S serious, but he smiles and JOYCE realises it was a joke.

JOYCE

That wasn't funny.

LONNIE

Your right, it doesn't look like this place is raking in a lot of dough.

JOYCE

You should see it on Saturday. Melvald's dance parties are a riot. Place is packed to the gills. 

LONNIE

And what sort dancing they do around her? Let me guess, flapping and cooing?

JOYCE

Actually, if you payed any attention at school you'd have noticed our mascot is a tiger. 

LONNIE

Now that's just confusing. But hey, if you want to learn some new moves there are other ways to go about asking a fella. 

JOYCE blushes and starts to reply when DONALD MELVALD, 39, enters from an AISLE as if out of thin air.

DONALD

Joyce, I thought I heard your voice.

JOYCE

Good afternoon, Mr Melvald. How are you?

DONALD

Well in all honesty a little light of hands, but things are all in working order. Darla's helping Sylvie with her newborn.

JOYCE

Oh, congratulations! What's their name?

DONALD

Clover. I'll tell you it's not what I would have picked, but a child is a gift in of itself.

JOYCE and LONNIE glance at each other and find themselves staring deep into each other's eyes. They then look away out of sheer awkwardness.