Chapter Five : She's Never Wrong

EXT. DOWNTOWN HAWKINS THOROUGHFARE – MORNING – SUNNY

We PAN OUT from various brass and percussion BAND MEMBERS, lined up along either side of the street. They're playing EL CAPITAN as a parade of CITIZENS dressed in late 18th century period dress march down.

We DOLLY IN on JOYCE and KAREN, who are amongst the onlookers standing on the SIDEWALK. JOYCE glances at LONNIE who is on the opposite side of the street.

KAREN

You should just go with him, Joyce. Honestly, I don't mind.

JOYCE

I don't even know him. And the way he just asked me out of the blue. I bet you he's asked a whole bunch of girls, so he can feel like he has his pick of the litter. Well I'm not falling for that.

KAREN

Oh, I see –

JOYCE

No. Sorry. That doesn't mean you shouldn't have asked Rich.

KAREN

I didn't ask him!

JOYCE

Ah! I put my foot in it. What I meant was –

KAREN

It's fine. I understand. You're flustered. Boys will do that.

JOYCE

Those Zimmerman Twins deserve a good kick where the sun don't shine.

KAREN

Well just tell me when you decide to do that and I'll bring the camera.

CHARLES SINCLAIR, 17, well dressed and charming, and SUE, 17, gorgeous and vivacious, make their way to the front of the ONLOOKERS next to JOYCE and KAREN.

SUE

(Excited) Ladies!

CHARLES tips his HAT politely to JOYCE and KAREN, while SUE leans over the barricade.

CHARLES

Don't mind her.

SUE

Excuse you. I'm perfectly respectable, thank you very much.

KAREN

(To SUE) I had no idea you were so patriotic.

CHARLES

(Whispers to JOYCE) She isn't.

SUE

I heard that. Be careful Charles Sinclair, if you still expect to marry me someday.

JOYCE and KAREN share a secret smile, and then JOYCE looks over to where LONNIE was, but he's gone. HOPPER walks passed there and then disappears in the crowd.

The BAND MEMBERS begin playing YANKEE DOODLE and SUE tries to get a better view of the incoming procession.

LARRY KLINE, 25, dressed as George Washington and riding a HORSE, smiles and waves. An ASSISTANT holds onto the HORSE'S reins and leads it forward. LARRY unsheathes his PROP SWORD, which spooks the HORSE.