Chapter Seven

Hayden's POV

"So, I'll do the research and you can illustrate?"

"Mhm. If you don't mind, of course."

Azalea's grey eyes stared at me. "I don't mind, you did do some research. Well, I'll see you on Monday."

"Later," I waved. Then she shut the door behind her, leaving my room.

I fell on my bed, and felt my eyes starting to droop. What a week... It was Friday afternoon, and all I could think about was sleep, which I needed more than ever. I heavily breathed, my back sinking into the bed further and further-

-until I heard a familiar ding. I groaned, rolled over to a sitting position and stared at my laptop, which was on the ground. There was a message in the software that Ashton, Steve and Paige used to notify me if there was anything I needed to come into Minecraft for. I slid off the mattress and looked closer at the screen. It was from Steve. I tensed up. He's rarely free. It must be urgent.

But it was the complete opposite, to my surprise. The message read, "Get on something casual to wear. We're going on a fun outing, unless you're not free."

I typed back, "Yeah, I'm free. How long will it be for?"

"Until late at night, or whenever you're wanted back." he replied.

I said, "Let me ask my mom. Don't worry, I won't be telling her specifically where I'm going."

"I don't think she'd believe you if you told her," he said.

I cracked a smile, and walked out of my room to go and ask her. She was in her room, holding a piece of paper with a stricken expression.

"Mom?" I asked cautiously.

She looked up. "Yeah?"

"Can I go out tonight? I'll be back by my bedtime."

"Will you get dinner?" she questioned.

"I'll ask," I said, and ran to my room.

"My mom wants to know if I'll have dinner," I typed to Steve.

"Yeah, you'll be eating," he replied.

I ran back into her room. "I'll be stopping to eat."

"Okay," she said and sighed. "Well, be safe. Don't do anything stupid or reckless, not that you would. And... I love you. So much."

She embraced me. "I don't think I tell you that enough."

I returned the hug. When she finally broke off, she smiled. "Have fun."

"Thanks," I said. "By the way, you don't have to wait up for me. I won't be far, and I will definitely get home by bedtime."

Her brown eyes sparkled. "You're so grown up and responsible."

I slightly grinned. "See you late tonight or in the morning."

I exited her room, shut the door behind me, and walked in back in my room.

"I can come," I typed. "I just have to leave the house to make it seem like I'm going somewhere."

"Okay," Steve responded.

I walked over to my window and opened it. Then I went downstairs, opened up the front door and closed it. I ran through my backyard, and hopped up on one of the windows to the kitchen. I lifted myself onto the very top of that window, then grabbed a hold of one of the drain pipes. I propped my body up on to the open window above using the pipe for support, and climbed into my room soundlessly.