Kidnapped

Tris is seated at her usual place, surrounded by boys vying her for affection. Then something hits me. Valentine's Day is on Friday this week.

Already on her table are mountains of chocolate and roses piled high. She blows kisses at the boys and stuffs all the presents in her bag, carrying most by hand.

I prop my elbow against the table and rest my head against my hand. Valentine's Day, huh...

All the previous Valentine's, it's been awkward because Tris always left me alone while she goes off flirting. At the dance, I'm always the one standing alone in a corner, watching other couples waltz like they're born to do it.

Come to think of it...Malcolm's always been absent every Valentine's Dance.

"Ms. Alexander?" my physics teacher calls my name.

"Huh?"

I stand up. I've been too absorbed in my thoughts to listen in class.

"I asked, what's the gravitational field of the moon?"

"One-sixth of the earth's," I say.

The teacher eyes me suspiciously, but let's me sit down anyway. I heave a silent sigh of relief as I continue building castles in the air.
************
"You don't normally space out in Physics," says Tris. "You're too good for that."

"Maybe I'm getting badder." We round the corner and I see the hallway of lockers. Eh? There's someone there... jet-black hair...

He turns his head.

I gasp as I stop in my tracks. Those silver eyes!

"Yo," he waves a hand at me.

"Hi," I regain my composure and respond accordingly.

"How's the prince?" he grins and cocks his head at me.

"Fine," I say. "None of your concern."

"Today's the first day. Don't forget that," Trey walks our direction.

As he walks past me, he whispers in my ear, "Meet me after school." I watch as he turns the corner.

"Spit it out, Em. What's up with you and him?" Tris's face is a huge grin, her eyes nearly to the point of bulging.

"I...there's..." my cheeks turn red. Does she really think that there's something between us?

"You have to like him, right? I mean, everyone likes him. He just transferred in, but he's hot!"

Tris's voice reaches a high note.

"You can go vy for him, if no other girl has gotten him yet," I mutter.

But what did Trey mean? What does he want with me? Meeting him after school may mean my life or death.

Absentmindedly, I head over to my next class.
*************
In the middle of Math, there is an announcement that school hours will cease now.

Wondering what it's about, I head out of the school with the other cheering students as I stuff my books in the locker.

A light tap on my shoulder jolts me from my thoughts. I turn to find Trey.

"Your prince is waiting outside," he says. "Worried to the degree of..."

"What did you want to tell me?" I ask.

"What?"

"You said to meet you after school," I remind him.

"Oh, yeah, right," he says. "I just wanted to say, you'd better beware of your friend."