Confrontation

The insides of me bubble in joy and knowing when the principal announces Tris's awakening. Deep in my heart, I know it--that it was the stone's doing. Never in my life had I expected a stone to grant me a miracle, but it did.

After Math, I stuff my books into the locker and exchange my books for my Literature books.

One hand slams down on the locker beside me, and I jump, startled. I turn around to see who it is, and come face to face with Malcolm, his eyes flashing dangerously.

"What did you do?" When he speaks, his voice comes out angrily.

"I-I don't know what you mean," I stanmer. "I-I didn't do anything."

"Lies!" he raises his voice. "You know what you did."

I try to duck under his arm, but Malcolm didn't let me. "Tell me what you did!"

"I-I just w-wanted Tris to be alright," I stammer weakly. Tears sting the back of my eyes. My legs feel like leaden jelly.

"Do you know about the Faeries?" Malcolm seems to have slightly calmed down now. I shake my head. What's he talking about?

"Never mind," Malcolm glances around. The corridor is empty. Everyone's either studying in the library or are at class.

"Meet me at The Grill tonight," Malcolm says. "Seven o'clock sharp."

With that, he leaves for his class.

I shudder as I leave for mine also, wondering why he'd want to see me.

******

I stand outside The Grill as I wait for Malcolm to appear. I glance at my watch: he should be here any minute.

Speak of the Devil.

A sleek, black BMW parks in the outdoor parking lot, moonlight gleaming on its bonnet. Malcolm steps out from the driver's seat, pushing the door close behind him and locking the car.

"What do you want to talk to me about?" I ask him.

"Let's head inside first," says Malcolm. "I gather you must be hungry."

Actually, I ate two biscuits before coming. Nevertheless, I follow him into The Grill. We are seated at an empty table and handed menus. I flip through mine, before dedicing on plain barbeque chicken.

"What're you eating?" I ask.

"Just some grilled sandwiches," Malcolm says as he calls for the waitress and gives her our order. I swear I saw her smile seductively at him as she jots our orders down.

"What do you want to talk to me about?" I repeat my question. Malcolm throws glances around furtively, before saying in a hushed voice, a volume that only I and he can hear.

"You brought Tris back from the brink of death," says Malcolm. "That's what you did."

"I don't even know how I did it," I keep my voice as low as possible.

"Have you heard of the Faerie's Crown?" He asks, then scratches his head. "Scratch that, or even Faeries in general?"

"No," I say confidently. Such creatures don't exist, do they? "Don't tell me you believe in them."

Malcolm opens his mouth to speak, but catches himself just in time when the waitress returns with our order. He swallows uncomfortably, before saying, "Let's finish eating first, then we'll go outside to talk."

I nod and dip my head as I chew on my chicken. When I look up, I see Malcolm staring at me, his blue eyes drilling holes into mine.

"What?"

"Ah, it's nothing," Malcolm continues eating his food. When we finish, Malcolm pays the bill and we head outside.

"I just prayed on a rock, okay?" I say impatiently as we stand next to Malcolm's car. That night, when I heard Tris was in a coma, I couldn't sleep, so I brought over that antique rock I bought and hugged it, hoping that Tris would be alive.

Wishing, even.

"That rock...what color is it?" Malcolm asks.

"Fairly black, if I do say so myself," I say.

"Can you meet me again here tomorrow? Don't need to go in. Just stay outside. Oh, and bring that rock with you," says Malcolm.

"Oh, okay," I say, and start towards the bus stop. I'd only taken a few steps before Malcolm pulls me back by my shoulder.

"Need me to give you a lift?" he asks.

"I'll be getting home myself," I say pulling away from his grasp. "I can manage. It's not that I'm not independent."

"Actually, that wasn't a question," Malcolm turns me around to face him. "I'll be taking you home. I insist."

There's something about the lines on his face that suggests I'd better do as he says. I nod, and Malcolm helps me into the passenger seat of his car.

Before we even hit the road, I'm fast asleep.