1: An American Aboard The Hogwarts Express

“It’s a new dawn, it’s a new day, it’s a new life for me, and I’m feeling good,”
~ Feeling Good by Nina Simone

- - - - -

It was just like any other September first for Platform 9 ¾. The train was getting ready to leave as its steam engines puffed out scarlet smoke like it always did. Anxious wizarding families gathered on the platform to send their children off, giving them last-minute reminders, warm hugs, among other things. Students were hustling about trying to find and reunite with their friends whom they haven't seen all summer. Amidst this joyful chaos was a young wide-eyed girl with dark brown hair that was neatly tied in a french braid. She was alone and feeling swept up and lost as she walked through the crowd, but she didn't mind one bit. After all, part of exploring the unknown is allowing yourself to get lost a little bit.

The young girl took a quick look around her, keeping in mind what her father said about being present in the moment to get to know your surroundings. She passed by a pretty black-haired girl around her age with her nanny in tow who was pushing her trolley. I suppose there are magical families rich enough to get a nanny too, she thought. Then there was an older lanky boy who went blabbering about how he wanted to play as a seeker for the Chudley Cannons. 

"Do you need any help with that?" a voice asked. She turned to its direction to see an older red-headed boy. Turns out she had reached the Baggage Compartment and the boy had just finished helping another student put away his trunk. 

The young girl smiled timidly. "Do you mind?" she asked. 

"Not at all," he replied as he reached for her trunk and hauled it into the compartment. "American? Must be, with your accent and all." 

The girl nodded. 

"First year?" 

She nodded again then held out her hand. "Sophia Carter".

The older boy shook her hand just as someone from the crowd called his name. "Charlie!" his friend called. "The train is about to leave!" 

Charlie then gave Sophia a smile. "I best be off then. Welcome to Hogwarts, by the way!" he said. After that, he sped off to find his friends.

Sophia, now all alone again, proceeded to walk towards the train doors with a bit of difficulty as students were all trying to get in at the same time. As soon as stepped into the train, she took some time to catch her breath before looking for a compartment. By this point, most compartments were already full and the anxiety over having to ask people if she could sit with them began building up in her stomach. 

"You could sit with me if you want,"

Sophia turned around and saw the black-haired girl from earlier sticking her head out of her compartment. 

"It's okay, no one else is sitting here," the black-haired girl assured her. It was only when Sophia finally sat and settled down right across from the girl that she was able to take a good look at her. The very first thing she noticed was how poised the young girl was with her back straight and both hands on her lap. Her long black hair, long eyelashes and fair complexion all made her look very elegant. Much like a princess from one of Sophia's storybooks. She was also wearing her Hogwarts robes already unlike Sophia who was still wearing her pink cardigan and jeans. "What's your name?" Sophia asked. 

"Greengrass. Eleanor Greengrass," the girl replied. "But you can just call me Ella. How about you?" 

"Sophia Carter, but you can call me Sophie," Sophie replied.

"Carter? I don't believe I've ever heard of such a name," Ella said, now wondering where Sophie came from.

"Oh, I'm from America. Both my parents aren't wizards," Sophie replied.