Prologue

B r o k e n E m p i r e

____________________

Irene sat in the center of her office, her long black hair tucked behind both ears, wearing a white lab coat. Someone knocked on her door as she was typing a medical record on her computer.

"Come in," Irene replied, her gaze still fixed on the screen.

"Hi, Doc!" A young intern said, Irene glanced at the boy and a beautiful bouquet caught her eyes. "I'll place it here." The young intern said and placed the flowers on her table.

"Thank you," Irene said with a pink tint on her cheeks, the boy chuckled and left.

Irene paused her work as the door shut and gazed at the lovely flowers. The flower's wrap paper is purple, and the bow is gleaming white. The flowers come in a variety of colors, including pastel pink and purple. She had a good idea who this was from.

She noticed a yellow card poking out of the flowers, the color contrasted the whole theme of the bouquet. Irene giggled and read the note.

~Love, I miss you. I hoped you liked the flowers. I'll be home tonight, see you. - Lisa

Happiness tug the corner of her lips, "it's beautiful," Irene breathed looking at every detail of the flower.

Irene then turned to face the picture on the table, which is a family portrait. Irene, her wife, and their child. Her wife's name is Lisa, and her son's name is Lucas, and she laid her hand on the photo, staring at it in admiration.

Everything is perfect.

_______

The night was pitch black, and enormous clouds were approaching. With time, the tapping on the glass became a pitter-patter. People rushed outdoors for safety as the clouds spat out their water drops, and umbrellas were opened. Puddles began to develop as the rain grew heavier. Rain and spray danced on the car roofs, and rain whispered through the windows. It sounded like a swarm of furious bees buzzing.

A car pulled up in the garage. The engine died off and the car door opened, the person went to the back and pulled the suitcase out. The rain-drenched her.

"Great..."

Her bangs were drenched, and she didn't have much of an option because she had forgotten her umbrella on her trip. She walked into the garage and opened the door. Her socks left tiny puddle tracks, and her clothes were dripping everywhere.

"Love?" She calls.

She left her suitcase in the middle of the living room and went upstairs, she threw her drenched cloak on the mini table upstairs and found herself inside their bedroom. When she saw her wife sleeping blissfully on their bed, she smiled and all the sorrow and fatigue were gone.

"Love," She held her wife's shoulder caressing it slowly.

The woman stir awake, "Lisa," she glanced up and pierced her eyes through her, "you're back."

"I miss you," Lisa brushes Irene's hair over her shoulder and runs a finger from her shoulder then over the top of her back, following the lace border of her wife's dress. Irene shivers with excitement. Above the first button on Irene's dress, Lisa lays a gentle kiss on her shoulder.

"All of my aches vanished." Lisa unfastens each button one at a time, all the way down to Irene's back. "I'm in love with you." she kisses from the nape of her wife's neck to the edge of her shoulder trailed behind her. "I. Love. You. So. So. Much," she says between kisses.