Georgiana Darcy

Georgiana Darcy was the much younger sister of Mr. Darcy. Perfectly amiable and shy, Georgiana was of the purest heart and idolized her brother. She was a little over sixteen when her brother got married to Mrs. Darcy, whom she quite admired. The bond between the sisters was what Mr. Darcy had hoped to see. They connected with each other so well and loved each other so deeply. Georgiana was blessed with a great fortune, which helped her in being tutored with the finest of the arts and education, but she didn't have the slightest of pride in her. Sometimes her shyness was mistaken to be pride, but that wasn't unless one talked to her. At the young age of fifteen, she suffered grave despair as her heart was broken by a man, who she thought loved her. George Wickham nearly eloped with Georgiana only to marry her and gain her inheritance and if it wasn't for Mr. Darcy's timely intervention, the elopement would have taken place.

This is the largest of the reasons Mr. Wickham was never welcomed in Pemberley, the estate of the Darcys, although for the regard of Elizabeth's feelings, Mrs. Lydia Wickham was welcomed there whenever she wished. Georgiana treated Mrs. Wickham with utmost civility and felt nothing but cordial towards her, with a slight sense of pity for their economical situation and the state of their marriage. Lydia, however, wasn't as fond of Miss Darcy as she led everyone else to believe. She was civil in her treatment to her, as she still wanted to be welcomed into her sister's home, but in the beginning of their acquaintance she began by immediately wanting to dislike Georgiana. After finding no reason to base her dislike on, she began to see the good in her while alongside she was beginning to fall out of love with her husband. This then developed into jealousy on Lydia's part for Georgiana.

After almost a year of her brother's wedding to her beloved sister Lizzy, Georgiana accompanied her to her parental home for a visit. Mrs. Bennet was most nervous for this, as she wanted to show herself coming from more than they were. She made her housekeeping clean the house several times, got new sets of clothes for her two daughters and herself (Mr. Bennet refused to get some for himself), and had planned all the courses of all the meals that they were to have in their daughter's month long visit. She had met Georgiana but once before that, and in that meeting, they didn't converse more than greeting each other. If she knew Georgiana any better, she would have known that Georgiana doesn't care for materialisms.

"Oh my dear Lizzy!" cried Mrs. Bennet, when she welcomed her daughter at her doorstep. "How great it is to finally see you after all these months!", she said while holding her daughter into a tight and rather uncomfortable embrace.

"Hello Mama", Elizabeth said, pulling herself out of the embrace. "How have you been?".

"I'm great now that I've finally seen you. Miss Darcy", she gave Miss Darcy a curtsy which Georgiana returned.

"What a nice home you have here Mrs. Bennet" Georgiana exclaimed.

"Oh its not even a percent of what you have at Pemberley..."

Georgiana was glad that Mrs. Bennet's sentence was cut short because a shriek of happiness was heard in a familiar voice.

"Lizzy!" This was Kitty Bennet. She ran down the steps towards the living room, to where our party had moved, and embraced her sister.

"Oh Kitty" Elizabeth embraced her sister back. "How have you been?"

"I've been good" Kitty then went on to greet Miss Darcy. "Its great to see you Miss Darcy."

"Its great to see you too Miss Bennet."

Another young lady then entered the room. Georgiana had never seen her before but she recognized her as the fifth Bennet sister, Mary Bennet. Mary had a plain and solemn look on her face, but it soon turned to be in a rarely seen smile when she saw her sister, for the first time in months and for a second time since her wedding. Mary first greeted Georgiana which Georgiana returned and then went on to meet her sister. The sisters did not say anything, but the whole room acknowledged how delighted they both were to see each other after such a long time.

After being left alone in the living room with Kitty and Mary, as Mrs. Bennet had taken Elizabeth upstairs, Georgiana didn't utter a word herself. They sat in silence, which was comfortable for Mary, who had busied herself in reading, and Georgiana, but quite the opposite for Kitty, who couldn't stay quiet until she absolutely had to.

Finally, the silence was broken by Kitty. "Mary, you should hear Miss Darcy play the piano sometime. I heard her play in Pemberley, and I daresay it was heavenly". Georgiana's cheeks went red the very second. 

Mary responded by saying, "It would be my pleasure to hear you Miss Darcy"

"I've heard that you also play Miss Bennet. Please do me the honour of listening to your playing sometime."

Mary responded to this by smiling. Mary was feeling something so pleasantly strange in the air of the Longbourne estate with Georgiana being there. She had heard about Georgiana's 'accomplishments' from Kitty many times, and also heard that she may seem proud and above her company like her brother did at first, but also that she is the quite opposite of what one perceives of her when meeting her for the first time. Mary took pride in herself being the most accomplished lady in the neighborhood, but someone seemingly more accomplished than her was in her home. Instead of feeling threatened, however, Mary felt somewhat drawn towards Georgiana, as if she wanted to learn something from her.

Kitty soon excused herself from the room and it was upon the other two ladies to keep the conversation going. Someone who knows both of them knows how difficult it is to maintain a conversation with either of them as both of them don't speak much, but the conversation they had reflected ease on both their part, as they connected so well.

"I daresay Miss Darcy, that I may not play as well as you do."

"Whyever do you say that Miss Bennet?"

"Because I have heard so much about you from people who are not very well acquainted with you. That does reflect perfection on your part. And I believe no one has told you about my accomplishments"

"That's not true. My dear sister Lizzy has said so much about your playing. She admires you, and from the way she talks about you, I have started to believe that she misses you so much as Mrs. Bingley, Miss Bennet and Mrs. Wickham make visits, but you do not."

"I find my solace in reading and playing and singing. I do not wish to part from the place I have grown so comfortable in."

"But comfort can be found more in people than places, or things. Have you grown comfortable without your sisters here?"

"I am not certain how I feel about my sisters not being here anymore, but I certainly am not comfortable to be the sole receiver of all the attention of my mother, as I was the one who received the least of it a year ago."

"Then you should visit Pemberley sometime, to be relieved of this attention, and to be certain of where, in what, or in whom you find your comfort" They conversed for long after that, until they were called upon for dinner, but before that, it was agreed between the ladies that Mary would indeed visit her sisters with Kitty the next time.