Cotton, Polyester & Lace

Smiling, you kept your fingers wrapped tightly around the worn, leather strap hanging above your head, bowing politely to the toothless woman as she thanked you profusely for offering your seat to her on the packed subway car. You watched the scenery roll behind her shoulders, noting that you were nearing your stop as she rummaged through her wicker purse; she'd made it herself.

With a tanned arm, she reached out to you until she could 'secretly' stuff a piece of candy wrapped in pink cellophane into your hand. She winked, smiling a big toothless smile and behind a protective hand whispered that it would, 'keep that pretty smile beaming all day'.

With another bow, you thanked her and clenched your fist to show her that you wouldn't let that candy go without a taste.

"Do you have some sort of date this morning?" she asked. "Your shoulders and arms are all on display!"

Before you could answer, she told you how she dressed in her younger days, when she'd first begun courting and then how she'd met her late husband.

You'd known the name of their three kids and her seven grandchildren by the time you felt the train slow to a smooth stop.

She was a kind old woman; the sweetest brand of retired, Okinawan granny there is but there was no denying it: she was a chatterbox. Since moving to Okinawa, you'd discovered that no matter where you'd go, getting out of a conversation with retired elders was like pulling teeth.

Some part of you began to wonder if they did it on purpose, like a little game, to pass the time: ' How many youngsters' schedules can I hold up today?' Then, they'd go play shogi with their fellow retired buddies and laugh about how polite kids are these days and how fun it is to get them all flustered before they went about their day.

The doors opened with a soft hiss and the woman continued on about how much skin you weren't protecting from the Okinawan sun, even going so far as to offer up her shawl. She'd also made it herself.

"I appreciate that but I couldn't!" you said with a polite bow, "Have a great day, ma'am."

"--but pretty young girls like you really oughta--"

"If it'll put your mind at ease, I'll buy some sunscreen while I'm out!" you said instinctively, sunscreen was by no means a part of your to-do list but you would say anything to get away.

"Nonsense!" she said, dipping back into her bag. "I've got some sun lotion in here that'll fix you right up... it's in here somewhere-- ah!"

"Th-that's okay, ma'am, really."

"N-nope, that's not it. Huh.. I could've sworn I--"

You heard the soft chime, indicating that the doors will be closing soon.

"I appreciate that ma'am but I really must go. Bye!"

"Be safe, young lady!"

You held your breath and dashed out of the closing doors without a second to spare.

On the outside, you waved politely to the old woman. She'd been grinning as the train began to take off once again.

"Sheesh." you sighed, smoothing out your dress.

They definitely do that on purpose, you thought but you had no time to dwell over the elderly's twisted entertainment. You had an appointment to keep with a very stubborn man.

You made your way through and out of the station and into a taxi that dropped you off as close as it possibly could to the department store where you'd found him staring outside intensely at a berry bush, finishing off a cigarette.