s i x

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃

A L L  M Y  L I F E, cricket was everything

A L L  M Y  L I F E, cricket was everything. My life revolved around cricket. From my teen days, everything I concentrated on was someway related to cricket. Cricket was so important to me.

But, moments like these, moments like these, proved to me, that it was slipping away from my hands. All my hard work, the hard work of 23 years, was going to waste.

It wasn't intentional, but God has a way with things, but this is something, which I wasn't going to let go from my hands; I was going to succeed in what I wanted, cricket.
And I wasn't going to give up on it, anytime soon.

With that mindset, I left my room, to the cricket ground for practice. 

"Morning, coach," I said, immediately after reaching the pitch.

"Morning," he said and motioned me to stand with other players, who were waiting for the practice to start.

I shook hands with everyone, and stood along with them.

Soon, everyone came, and we were standing, waiting for today's share of training. 

"Batsmen, and bowlers, take your position." Our head coach, John Flemings, said.

Our position was nothing but, being split into two groups, of batsmen and bowlers.

"Batsmen, regular jogging,  five rounds, start now." Coach said, and blew the whistle. We all started jogging, while the bowlers were practicing hitting the stumps. 

After three rounds, I felt myself becoming tired, but being a cricketer, you were never supposed to feel tired; that was the main thing, and I wasn't going to give up on this one too. Keeping this in thought, I paused for a while, took a deep breath in, and continued to jog again. 

I knew, if you weren't fit enough, you wouldn't be selected into the team only, and I wasn't going to let them happen, no matter what happens.

Soon, the jogging was over, and I stood, taking deep breathes in. I knew my coach and captain were seeing me, but I didn't want to fake it, fake it as if I was completely well after jogging five rounds. 

I mean, they did know the past of my breathing problems, so maybe, that's why they aren't telling anything, I guess. 

Soon, the practice was over, after we did many other practices, like slips catching, high ball catching, picking- throwing,  hitting the stumps, and so on. The only thing I was grateful for right now was my abs, well it did take a long time, but I pulled it through.  

"Good practice, meet you all tomorrow, at 5 am. Be on time for dinner, boys." Our captain said, and everyone started leaving.

I's and Zach's room were next to each other, so I waited until he came. Two minutes later, he came and patted my back.

He had his phone in his hand, texting someone, before putting his phone inside his pocket and turned to me.

"How's your breathing practice going?" He asked. Well, he was the only guy, who cared; of all the teams I've been in, he is the only captain who cares about his cricketers before himself.

"Fine, but it goes up, and then down, " I told, and raised my hands like jazz hands.

He chuckled, and then looked at me with amusement. He patted my shoulders, and then looked at his phone again.

"Okay, listen, have you— ever got the chance of meeting Ms. Woods?" Those words made me freeze.

Does he know about what happened the other day? Fuck— then I'd be in big big trouble.

"Hmm, not really though, why?" I asked, playing it cool.

Before he could answer— his phone rang, and his face automatically turned into smile.

I took me a second to digest that he just smiled. What the fuck is happening.

"I'll be back, " he said, and left.

Wow— okay.

I turned entered the hotel, and waited for the lift.

The lift finally reached ground floor, and there waited the person, who I was afraid of seeing.

Ms. Andrea Woods.

▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃▃