2

Before Rina and Comte stood a massive double-sided door, made stunningly of a beautiful stone and wood material. Engraved in the door were embellishments of ancient art that could only have been done by the finest craftsmen of its time. Comte had taken Rina to a nearby museum of the arts, where he made a beeline towards the section dedicated towards the turn of the 19th and 20th centuries.

"It's stunning." In order to fill the silence of the walk, she spoke up.

"I had a feeling that you would be particularly appreciative of the carvings." He gestured to the door gently. "When we step through this door, Miss Miura, we will enter into time foreign to you." He held his arm out for her to take. "Please, allow yourself as much time as you need to go through."

"I'm ready." Comte looked at her in surprise.

"Oh?" He let out a chuckle of surprise. His voice was so much calmer and more settled than what she was used to hearing at their office. It was rather odd for her to think of how the Francis she had been working with for the last month had put on a clumsy façade for so long. "Are you sure you are not in need of more time to ruminate over your decision? I cannot guarantee that I can bring you back often if you leave once. It is a rather difficult feat to exact the time when the door will allow for travel across time."

"I am certain of my choice." She looked up at him with a look of determination. "Let's go, Francis."

"Comte is fine."

"I am a bit too accustomed to the name Francis, Comte." She paused. "Would it be alright if I continued to call you Francis?"

"I do not mind, but may I ask why?"

Rina thought for a moment about how to word her thoughts. She slowly then said, "it gives me a sense of normalcy." Comte chuckled and nodded in understanding. Looking at the door before her, Rina took a deep breath before slowly stepping into it, feeling a rush of warmth and bright light overtake her before she was suddenly out of conscience.

"Comte, did you kill her?" A voice rang through Rina's head rather loudly, giving her a mild headache. Masculine voice; she wondered if the events of late had been a dream and if she was really on the floor at work. Did she pass out after hearing about the report? "She appears to not be breathing. . ."

"The poor lass is unmoving!" Another voice, this time deeper. She did not recognize them. Perhaps they were paramedics? "Why, where is Sebastian when we need him?"

"Leo, calm down." British. Very, glaringly, British. "She's breathing, look! No need to worry in the slightest, I daresay."

"God, what a fucking nuisance—"

Rina stirred and she felt a hand hold the back of her head gently, allowing her the chance to open her eyes slowly and look at the rather large array of men gathered around her. "Oh, she is waking up!" She sat up with a startle, blinking owlishly at the unfamiliar faces around her. She locked eyes with Francis once again, who looked at her with slight worry in his eyes despite the small smile on his face.

"Finally awake, Miura?" She nodded tentatively at his question and looked around at the surrounding room and area. "I did not expect you to be so knocked out by our travel here – it is reassuring to see you awake."

"...where are we?"

"Well, my dear, we are in 19th century France, just as I told you. This is my mansion."

So, he had not been lying.

"Ah yes." She noticed that she was sat on a couch, presumably where she had been taken after being knocked out by the travel through the door. The space was rather lavish, a foyer with tall ceilings and a grand staircase leading up to a second floor with a balcony. There were many rooms surrounding her and it seemed to be a massive space. Around her was a handful of men, presumably the ones that Francis had told her about briefly. Were these all of them or were there more? There was probably room for dozens upon dozens of people to live in this mansion comfortably. "Um..." She cleared her throat a little. "Hello. . ." Her voice trailed off and one man exclaimed in result.