The Cafe

Elswyth had a daily routine. Wake up, do their makeup, do their hair, get dressed, and walk to the cafe down the street from their apartment. 

Except it didn't happen like that today. They woke up ten minutes after their alarm and their curling iron broke! They only had about fifteen minutes to spare. So they ran to the cafe and walked in, seeing Maxi look up from behind the counter and smile at them. They smiled back and look around. All the seats were filled up, besides one. Near the back, there was a table with two chairs. One had a muscular-looking man with green-tinted hair occupying it, while the other one was empty. They thought about it for a moment, leave without ordering anything and end up feeling grumpy the rest of the day, or sit with the muscular man. They sighed softly and began making their way over to him. 

"Is anyone sitting here?" Elswyth asked, making the man look up from his phone. He smiled and shook his head. They smiled back and took a seat, staying still for a second before waving over the barista.

"Hey, Eli!" Matthew greeted, jogging over to where the other sat. 

"Hey, Matt! Can I get-" He cut them off.

"A green tea, extra match, extra almond milk foam, and two slices of the fresh banana bread. I know Eli, you've come here for 3 years."

"Thank you matt." They replied, laughing a bit.

"And what can I get for you, sir?" Matthew turned to the green-haired man, who looked up and cocked an eyebrow.

"I already ordered." He replied with a confused tone in his voice.

"Oh, what was the name on the order?" He asked, pulling out his table and clicking through things.

"Um, Sam." Matt scrolled for a bit before sighing disappointedly.

"I'm so sorry sir, I think that Maxi forgot to put your order in the system." Matt said, shooting a glare over to his sister who looked confused.

"What can I get for you?" He looked back and continued.

"Oh, a hot chocolate and a brownie, please." He ordered. Matt nodded and smiled, walking behind the counter and to the kitchen.

Elswyth looked up from their phone to the man across from them. "So... Green, huh?" They laughed slightly as they talked. He looked up to them and his face turned bright red.

"It said temporary! I didn't know it was going to stain!" He said, stuffing his face into his hands and rubbing them up and down.

"I mean, I can't really judge. Look at me, ya'know?" They fanned their hand in the direction of their hair, which at the moment was bright pink.

"Yeah, I don't think I could pull that off, lmao." He smiled as he spoke, trailing off when he saw Elswyth's shocked expression. He was just about to ask what was wrong when they spoke up.

"Did-" They laughed in shock "Did you just actually say 'lmao' in real life?" Sam's face, which had just went back to normal, turned beat red again. He sputtered until they spoke up again.

"Gigachad alert!" They whispered to themselves. He burried his hands into his face and let out a high pitched humm. They both were still laughing when  their food and drinks came. Elswyth pulled out their wallet to pay but the man pushed their wallet back  towards them and paid for both their meals. Matt thanked them and went back behind the counters.

"Now I feel shitty that I can't do anything for you!" They told him. He just laughed and shook his head.

"Well, you could pay me back by telling me your name?" He suggested, smiling at them.

"My name is Elswyth." They said, taking a sip of their drink.

"Oh wow, that's a cool ass name!" He exclamed. They just nodded.

"Well, I picked it out myself, so I sure hope it is." They smiled. "So, your turn!"

"Well, after hearing yours, mine is kinda anticlimactic. It's Sam." He laughed as he talked.

"I think Sam is a very pretty name! It fits you." They said, smiling. They were finishing their last piece of bread when they checked the time. "Oh fuck! I got to get to work. Shit, shit, shit!"

"Do you need a ride?" Sam asked as they were gathering their stuff.

"Actually? That would be amazing! Thank you so much!" They said quick as they stuffed the last of their bread in their mouth, left a ten of the table for a tip and ran out the door. Sam followed right after them.

"My cars right over there." He pointed to a bright green sports car and led them over to it. He opened the passenger door and closed it after them. He hopped in the drivers side and pulled out of the lot.

"Greens your color, then?" They said, pointing at streets for him to turn.

"I mean, yeah. What can I say." He said following their directions.

"I didn't expect you to be the sports car type, maybe a Subaru Forester with the back window knocked out." They laughed. "Oh, here's my job, just pull over here." They pointed to a open parking spot in front of a publicist office.

They wrote something down on a piece of their notebook paper and ripped it off. They folded it over a few times before throwing it in his face.

"I'll see you later, green boy." They hopped out of the car. They blew a kiss to him and ran inside.

"Oh fuck me." He whispered to himself as he unfolded the paper to see their number written inside.

He picked up his head from where it was resting on the steering wheel, pulling out if the space and driving home.

"I got to tell Foolish."

Authors note!

How are you all?! I have not posted in such a long timeee

How are you all?! I have not posted in such a long timeee. Sorry about that one 💖 anyyywayyy I love you all I hope you enjoy this! It's not really a x reader but you can image it as you! I just really like the name Elswyth! I made the character at gender neutral as I could so u can project. Love you all kisses ( ˘ ³˘)♥

1044 words
Finished March 24th 2022