VIII

†

"Alright Y/n today is your first day of hard work, so we're gonna need to focus and work together to get enough money saved up for your return home." Home? But don't I live here?? "Now you're most likely wondering how much are we gonna work? Well I have calculated that it'll take from today to late July or early August." She rambled on, but in truth I wasn't worried about how long. Just her weird additude bugged me.

"Alright get in the truck, were helping a mass gourd farmer plant pumpkins for Autumn." She said, the key chain loop twirled on her pointer finger. "We also have to go cut grass, trim hedges, power wash some houses, and much more." She sighed, and got in. Well if we're gonna get back home to Tokyo, I gotta work hard. I climbed into the passenger seat and closed the door. She turned on the ignition, and we left to our first stop.

Bzzt!
Bzzt!
Bzzt!
My phone? Who's calling? Only one way to find out. I accepted the call; putting it on speaker. "Hello?"
"Heyy! Y/n! I wasn't sure if you would actually pick up!" Where in the world did he get my number? Oh wait I remember.

"Mikoto doesn't own a phone?" Kusanagi's voice filled with surprise. "Yeah, you'd think he'd get one to call us but no. I wish he would though." I sighed. " Speaking of calling, can I have your number Y/n?"

"Huh? What for??"
"If we're both friends with Suoh; we might as well become friends too!" Izumo chuckled lightly. "Alright as long as you're not secretly a serial killer."

"Wait Kusanagi I have your name in my contacts, why is this one unknown to my phone? Did your old one break?" I asked, Akiko obviously listening in. "Oh Y/n you think so lowly of me! Nah I haven't dropped it once." He said his voice filled with pride.

"No I convinced Mikoto to get a phone! No argument whatsoever!" So Mikoto got a phone? He must've asked Kusanagi to put my number in his contacts. "That's great! Now I don't have to talk to you!" I laughed. "Oh Y/n you wound me! How am I to live knowing the only girl I knew that is my age doesn't desire a cutie like me!" Izumo cried dramatically.

"Then allow me to introduce myself." Akiko said, leaning close to the phone as she drove. "Y/n who's that, your mom doesn't sound like that." Kusanagi asked curiously. "She's my new friend, and she's gonna help me get back to Tokyo." I answered with a grin, even thinking about it makes me happy. "Aww she's here to replace me, my heart Y/n; you're breaking it in two."

"Don't worry darling, I find it hard to believe that I could be replacing you. You're just simply irreplaceable." I'd bet fifty yen that on the other end of the phone, Izumo was as red as Mikoto's hair. "Hey Kusanagi is that Y/n you're talking with?" Mikoto has always had that laid back tone. Never giving any show of his emotions. "Ah, I see you woke up. How was your nap Suoh?"

"It doesn't matter." The sound of his lighter lid flipping open and the lighting of a cigarette was caught in the phone's speaker. "Hand me the phone Kusanagi." He mumbled, the cigarette was probably caught in his lip. "Come to the bar and sit down Mikoto, it's on speaker for a reason."
Mikoto could be heard walking closer, and taking a seat at the bar. "Hey Mikoto! Did ya miss me?"

"Yeah..." I could literally hear this man's smile AHH! "I'm surprised you actually have a phone now. You used to say that phones were a waste of money." I teased lightly, twirling a strand of my hair around my finger idly. The phone picking up on the sound the lighter lid being flipped open and closed. "Yeah... It's hard to wait on you and not talk to you. You're a close friend."

"Ah. No offense Kusanagi."
"So you're not gonna tell her?"
"About what?" I asked curiously.
"Remember the kid that always came to the park? my admirer in a way. Personally I never understood how he could want to get close to me." Mikoto explained, the sound of him blowing out smoke from his lips.
"Totsuka Tatara? The kid who calls you king?"

"Mhm.. we decided to let him into our friend group of sorts." Mikoto sighed.
"Might as well make room for another too Mikoto." I giggled."How come?"
"There's this girl in Hirosaki, she's helping me get money enough to come back to Tokyo. Her name is Akiko Setsuko" I explained with a grin. "We're heading to work right now."
"Nice to meet you Suoh Mikoto. She always talks about you."
"Good things?"
"More than just good things."
"A-Aki! What's that supposed to mean." She laughed, waving off my embarrassment.

Kusanagi's POV

"What do you think it means Y/n?" Y/n's new friend teased. Personally I wish I knew what she meant, this entire talk Setsuko hasn't raised her voice above a normal normal tone. "So, how's Hirosaki, dork?" Mikoto asked, puffing in his cigarette. "It's like a smaller Tokyo, but the Hirosaki castle is beautiful." Y/n replied. "Not to mention the blossoms are beautiful during the spring." Akiko sighed dreamily. "How old are you anyway Setsuko?" I asked out of curiosity.

"Old enough to be your older sister."