Flashbacks

Were We Written in the Sand

...

Sitting on the small bed of the small room Abhijeet tried to process the events in his mind from last half an hour. He found the idea very foolish to stay in this house or even anywhere near it. But that old lady's order type voice didn't allow him voice his thought. And somewhere in his heart his selfish self, his guilty pleasure were also trying to influence him to stay.

"You will stay here." That old lady had said in a clear demanding voice.

It was hard to move his eyes away from the curly beauty he had always been in love with. But he had to, half heartedly. He had looked down for a while and then looked up at the old lady upon her declaration. Raj got excited and leaded him inside this room before Abhijeet could argue. Raj left afterwards.

Abhijeet sighed. He could leave. But he decided to stay the night. He would prefer to have a normal talk with her. It wouldn't be hard, would it? It's been so many years now. All those bitter moments must had been faded away from her memories. Perhaps, she would pass him a smile. Or she would ask him how had he been. He didn't need anything more from her.

Everything had been his fault. Though broken they could have been in a same frame, apart and distant and yet side by side. But he destroyed it. He destroyed all the possibilities with his bare hands. He destroyed everything they could have and they could be. After destroying everything he had realized it was too late and if he wouldn't have behaved like a moron, at least he would have the right to know how she had been in all these years. It was killing him not to know how she was doing. It was killing him every moment, every second.

He moved to the balcony attached to the room. It was nicely decorated with flowers. The dark night was engulfing his emotions. He looked at the vast dark sky and lost himself in past.

0_0

Flashback...

Broken and at the same time totally blank Abhijeet came out of her gorgeously decorated house and got into his car. Everything related to her were flashing in his mind as he drove his car in full speed through busy Mumbai's road. Tears were rolling down his eyes like anything. He couldn't remember last time he cried this silently. All his tears related to emotions were expressive. They were like chest constricting. But this was something else. Its like feeling a void in the heart. Its numb and feelingless. But at the same time so powerful which felt like all the emotions had been rooted out entirely, like there was nothing left.

Her smiles, her tears, her emotions, her supports, her complains, her shyness, her boldness. To him she was always a perfect woman with everything in her just in right amount, nothing excess or less. The more he thought about these the more he felt lack of air in his lungs. His vision blur with his own tears and due to the sudden stress he felt blackout for a moment.

Flash

He took a sharp turn to avoid hitting the truck coming from opposite side and ended up hitting a tree real hard. His head hit the stirring. The car's door got opened with the sudden jerk and his half body thrown outside of it. He closed his eyes slowly. The pain in his brain was taking over the pain in his heart and to him it felt soothing. He wished never to wake up and let the darkness engulf him.

Flashback end...

O_O

Closing the door of her room Tarika rested her back against it. A tear slipped down her eyes automatically. Its been a long time since she cried for him but seeing him like that on her threshold after so many years brought back the memories to her. He wasn't changed after all. That same body, same style, same arrogancy written all over face. That same confident and same politeness where necessary. She had seen him in papers a couple of times. He's just as same as the picture. Except, in picture she couldn't decipher the lack of lively ness in his eyes which was so prominent when she looked at him in front of her. The same brown bold eyes had hold the same question for her even after all these years. 'Why?' When he asked her in person why, she had answers to his question. But when his eyes asked her the same question she found her eyes lowering down in shame and guilt.