Chapter 1

This is my first try at this. Please vote and comment if you liked it!

Chapter 1: A New Breeze.

Grass. What I felt under my feet was definitely grass. My eyes came into focus as I took cautious steps towards what looked like a clearing. The trees around it reminded me of the woods behind the house of the oldest person in Rapid Falls, Minnesota, Old Sawyer. I took a few more steps and a shed-like structure came into view. In that same moment, a flowery scent hit me. I looked down and saw a single white lily. I bent down to pick it up, but, as soon as I touched it, it burned to a crisp. I stood there for a while, shocked by the burning flower. I shook myself out of the trance and started for the shed.

I walked a few steps and I was finally standing in front of the brownish old shed. I wanted to open the door, but something told me not to. I suddenly heard a whisper. I couldn't really make it out, but I think it was my name, accompanied by something else.

"Lucas... don't... ," I finally made out. Who in the world would be here calling me?

"Who's there?" I asked the voice.

"Lucas! C'mon Luke!"

I could still hear it, more clearly now. I slowly paced towards the edge of the clearing. A dark blonde girl leaning on a tree was the source of the voice.

"Lucas!"

That last yell jolted me up from my bed. I was almost freezing, instead of the conventional dream sweating you see in movies. I looked up to see my mother. She had a worried look on her face.

"It's only 6:30, but you were mumbling really loud," she said innocently. "I thought you were having a nightmare."

"It's ok, I'm glad you woke me up," I responded.

"Sophomore at last, huh?" she said, grabbing a photo from my bedside table of me and my best friend Oliver. "Seems like yesterday you were just an uncontrollable pooping and drooling machine."

"Mom! Just get out. I'll be downstairs in a minute."

"Ok, ok, but you can't blame me for being a mom, can you?" she said with a cocked eyebrow.

She went out of the room, closing the door behind her. I remained silent and still for a moment, looking at my dark blue wall, thinking about the dream I'd had. I jumped out of bed and headed towards the bathroom. Maybe a nice, warm shower would take the dream off my mind.

I came out of the bathroom, refreshed and ready for my first day as a sophomore. I put my old jeans on, a classic T-shirt, and my worked up sneakers and headed towards the door. But, before going out, I caught a glimpse of my tattered copies of The Divine Comedy and The Best Short Stories of Edgar Allan Poe and thought if something interesting would happen to me today.

I ran down the stairs and into the kitchen to find some warm pancakes on a plate sitting on the table. I sat down and started eating my pancakes slowly.

"Are they good?" My dad asked from behind me.

"They're terrific," I answered almost immediately. I kept eating, not paying much attention to my father, who grabbed a fork and stole a bite of pancakes from my plate.

"Hey!" I protested.

"They really are terrific!" He exclamated. "As expected from the best cook in all of Rapid Falls."

He smiled at me, turned around to pour himself a cup of coffee, and sat down at the table with me. I knew he wasn't going to chat with me about becoming a man or anything, even if my mom had mentioned something to him. He was much too cool for that sort of stuff. He just sat there, reading the newspaper, sipping from his cup from time to time.