Chapter 4

Chapter 4: Dinner Party

"Please, come in," Emilia said cheerfully. She moved to the side, leaving an opening for us to go in.

"Why thank you sweety," my mom said accepting the offer by going inside the house. I followed closely behind.

The house wasn't so different from ours. It was a normal two-story house, filled with all kinds of furniture. We were walking through the main hall that probably led to the living room. I turned my gaze to a huge painting depicting a little girl playing with two grown wolves. It was surrounded by a wooden frame with unusual engravings. 'It's beautiful' I thought.

"You like it?" I heard Emilia's unmistakeable voice say. I looked at her. Her hair gave out a lighter color than her usual brownish and her eyes now were a combination of yellow and hazel. She was undoubtedly beautiful.

"Y-yeah," I said, my voice a little shaky. "Who's it from?"

"Oh, some girl called Emilia Irwin. I don't think you've heard of her. At least not yet."

"Hmm... I think I have heard of her," I played along. "5'7", light brown hair, new in town."

"That's the one!" She said chuckling and giggling.

I chuckled back, sharing the fun with her.

"Come on, your mom's in the living room with my parents," Emilia said as she started toward the living room.

I followed her and entered a well lit room with an old chandelier hanging from the ceiling.

"Oh, before I forget, my parents are kind of wacko with some mythologies and beliefs," Emilia whispered to me while we walked to the couches where my mom and her parents were having what looked like a friendly chat. "So, bare with them if you fall into the subject, please."

"Don't worry," I said reassuringly. "I know my fare share on mythology."

She looked at me with a 'you'll regret that' expression and turned to face the adults sitting on the sofas.

"There you are, honey," Mom said. "Come meet Mr. and Mrs. Irwin, Emilia's parents."

She said it as if it wasn't obvious at all that they were her parents.

"Oh, please," Mr. Irwin said. He had the deep father-like voice dads in movies had. "Call me James."

"And you can call me Melissa," Mrs. Irwin said beside her husband, who was adjusting his glasses, probably to be able to see me better.

James looked like someone you wouldn't like to mess with. He was pretty big and seemed strong. His wife, on the other hand, appeared to be so docile, so calm, and happy. They were probably the perfect couple.

"Pleasure meeting you," I said while offering them both my hand in salutation. "I'm Lucas, but you can call me Luke."

"So, Luke," James said with a voice that seemed more like a sigh. "I see you've met our daughter."

"Yes," I responded looking at Emilia. "W-"

I was cut short by Emilia. Or was I? I looked over at her, but her lips were not moving, even though she kept saying something. For a second, I thought it wasn't her, but it was definitely her voice.

'Please, Dad, not now, not to him,' she kept saying.

"Well, isn't that wonderful!" Melissa said cheerfully. "First day in school and you've already made a friend, and a nice one, too. Isn't that wonderful, honey?"

"It sure is!" James responded.

Suddenly, the voice stopped. I could no longer hear Emilia's voice in my head. I moved away from Emilia's side and sat down beside my mom in front of James and Melissa. Emilia did the same and sat beside her parents.