Pop-ar-azzi

Check it out! We're going to get to see ANGRY NED!

---------------------------------

Ned bends down to talk to me. "Should I uh, escort you? You know, loop your arm through mine?"

"Probably." I huff. I get out of the car and thank Geoffrey.

The cameras blaze once my feet start moving across the red carpet.

"Look! It's Desiree Lockridge!"

"Ya, bitches, I'm back!" I mumble under my breath. This causes Ned to chuckle.

"Desiree, will you be working for the Lockridge Company now that you're back?" I glare in the direction at the lady who asked such a moron question.

"Wait! Zoom in on her hand! Desiree, are you engaged?"

"Desiree Lockridge is engaged!"

The crowd roars and just when I thought the flashes couldn't get any worse.

"What's your name?" they pester Ned. "When did you meet?"

"How did you propose?"

"Over here!"

"Desiree, will you keep your last name to carry on the Lockridge name?"

"Are you pregnant?" Kiss my ass, lady. Of course, I can't say this out loud.

"Ah thank God!" I breathe in relief. "This way, Edward."

The Pavilion is this old stone building, perfect for parties. The Lockridge Company often hosts fundraising banquets for publicity and, the overall good for the poor. We eat off the gold dishes and then give money to charity. How nice.

The family sits dab smack in the middle. Right underneath the chandelier. As a kid, I hated the spot; always afraid the freaking thing would fall on me. I still hate it.

"Ah! There she is!" A group of business men turn as Dad points me out. "Desiree, come meet these gentlemen!"

On our way over, I tell Ned, "Keep your mouth in check. These are the workers that love to spread shit."

"It's been so long!" the balding man tells me.

"Of course, Mr. Prive."

"And this young lad, is it true? Your fiancé?"

"Yes. This is Edward Nickerson."

And the night drones on. Talking, plastered smiles, and so many wealthy people.

"Good evening everyone." the talking quiets so we can hear the random employee from the Lockridge Company. "Thank you for coming to the Lockridge Fundraiser. Would everyone please find their table. We shall dine and then start the charity ball. Thank you."

My family sits down, but the tables are close, so people talk to one another, slightly turned in their seats.

"There are a lot of hot chicks here." Ned eyes the ladies who giggle his way.

"Ya, I wouldn't get to close to them. Their father's own a large part of the company. Pure evil." Ned frowns a little. I pat his hand and console, "Don't worry. This is a 'no strings attached relationship."

Ned smiles wickedly. "You mean no rings attached." The two of us laugh like fools. Good for the cameras too.

"I tell you what." I make sure no one is listening besides him. "You are free to check out all other girls here. Hell, even get their number."

"Yes!"

"Ah-ah-ah." I stop him. "As long as you don't get caught. If you do..." I motion a knife across my throat and point to him.