Just A Friend To You (Zedango)

A/N: So! I've been doing some songfics lately, and thinking about several more, but I've only been posting them on Ao3 since for some reason I felt like they didn't belong in the oneshots book-? XD Anyway they're here now! 

I'm starting off on a good note with honestly my favorite songfic I've done so far. It's Zedango (I think my only Zedango work...? Lmao, I should do them more-), and the song is "Just A Friend To You" by one of my favorite artists, Meghan Trainor. Even though I wrote this several weeks ago, I'm still really happy with the writing and structure, which for me means it's good. I'm excited to see if you guys think the same. Hope you enjoy!

Why you gotta hug me like that every time you see me?
Why you always making me laugh
Swear you're catching feelings
I loved you from the start

A buzz from his communicator caught Zedaph's attention. Pulling his safety goggles off, he inspected the device. A message from Tango was displayed on the screen:

TangoTek: Hey, Zedaph! Come meet me in the little forest by your lab

Zedaph was a bit confused—Tango wasn't supposed to be coming over today, was he?—but he didn't question it too far. He typed a quick reply and turned to the baby villager he'd been working with.

"Now, you grow up big and strong, and I'll be back for you in a few minutes," he told it.

It gave a little "hrmm" in reply, and Zedaph turned away. He made his way to the ground and headed outside. Propelled by a firework rocket, he flew to the forest Tango had mentioned. Oddly enough, he didn't see the golden blonde anywhere.

"Tango?" Zedaph called. "I'm here! Where are you?"

"I'm right here!" Tango's voice came from nearby, but Zedaph still didn't see him.

"Are you invisible?" Zedaph asked, narrowing his eyes.

"Nope. I'm not invisible. You sure you can't see me?"

"I... no! Where are you, man?" Zedaph asked. Right as he finished speaking, something moved in the corner of his eye. Was that... no, it couldn't be.

"Did that tree just move...?" he said, half to himself. He wandered over and cautiously tapped at the bark. It was soft, more like fabric. "Tango!" Zedaph began laughing.

"Aw, you got me." Tango pulled the costume off and joined Zedaph in giggles.

"How on earth did you do that?" Zedaph asked when he'd calmed down a bit.

"Painstakingly. But it's been so worth it!" Tango grinned as he added, "I've successfully trolled half the server by now!"

"Well, you certainly had me fooled, for a moment," Zedaph giggled.

Tango chuckled, and his arms wrapped around Zedaph. Zedaph stiffened, fighting back a blush, but it wasn't long before he returned the embrace.

"I missed you," Tango said as he released him. "With you living so far away, we rarely get to see each other."

"Yeah, I know. Sorry about that. I needed space for my lab, though," Zedaph replied, gesturing to the building behind them.

"Speaking of which, you never really gave me a real tour when I came over last time. Mind giving me one now?" Tango asked.

"Of course!" Zedaph beamed. "Right this way, good sir..."

So it breaks my heart
When you say I'm just a friend to you

Cause friends don't do the things we do
Everybody knows you love me too
Tryna be careful with the words I use
I say it cause I'm dying to
I'm so much more than just a friend to you
Mmm, mmm, mmm