Chapter 22: Friends II

"He's late."

Kyla and Zander chuckled as they watched another vein pop on Andrew forehead. "Calm down, Fernandez-kun. I'm sure he's on his way."

"Well he better be," Andrew snorted as he sat back and crossed his arms across his chest, "I didn't bring any money with me."

"I brought some cash so we're good," Zander said as he took a sip of his drink.

"See, even if he can't make it Ramos-kun can pay for us," Kyla smiled.

"That's not the whole point," Andrew sighed. He reached into his pocket to dish out his phone. "I'm going to call him."

"Hm," Zander nodded as he continued to sip his drink. Kyla laughed before sending their waiter an apologetic look that they still weren't ready to order yet.

Andrew drummed his fingers on the table as he waited for the other line to pick up. "Ring. Ring. Ring." Another vein popped up as his fingers became even more persistent to dent the table underneath. "Even this ringing is annoying," he groaned as the voicemail came on again.

"So Kyla..." Zander started, "What happened?"

The woman looked up at him with a questioning look before she caught on. "Oh...that," she whispered before chuckling lowly, though there really wasn't any amusement in her tone. "Well, I kinda found out that day when we went to Walker-kun's apartment to check out that rumor. I heard you guys talking with him about Bushū-san."

Andrew tensed at what she just said. "I-I didn't know you were there."

Kyla shrugged her shoulders with a smile. "I came back to see what you had to talk to him about. It's a good thing that I did."

"Why is that?" Zander asked. "This couldn't have been easy for you."

"Eun," she nodded, "I ended up crying over a week because of it."

Andrew frowned. "Then why do you sound so relieved?"

Kyla took a sip of her drink before looking up at him. "Like I said: I'm free. Now I don't have to waste my time chasing after a man I can never have."

"What made you come up with that?" Chad asked.

"Bushū-san finally became the barrier that I've been searching for," she answered, "Before, while I might have said I was over Walker-kun, I still held the unwanted hope of getting his affection some day. But now, finally there's a reason to stop hoping."

"Still, it must have been hard for you,"Zander said.

Kyla nodded. "At first when I found out about his relationship with her, I was planning on exposing it or somehow get to Walker-kun with this scandalous information. But..." she looked down to keep her eyes hidden in case they saw her eyes brimming with tears again. "I knew he would hate me if I did that. If others find out, then not only would my dreams with him shatter forever, but so will whatever friendship that is left between us. And...I didn't want to do that."

Andrew smiled as he looked at his drink. "That's a pretty noble decision you made."

Kyla nodded again. "I might have loved Walker-kun as a woman, but I also love him as a friend. And that's more important to me in my heart."

Zander smiled at his friend as he patted her shoulder. "I will pray for your happiness."

"Thank you," she whispered.

Andrew sighed, unsure of how to comfort his dear friend. So instead he pulled out his phone and said, "I'm going to try calling him again."

Kyla looked up at him and smiled. "Okay," she whispered as Andrew placed the phone next to his ear.