The First Nightmares

It was dark; pitch black. That's all Logan could see when he opened his eyes. The room was cold and smelled musty, almost like a dungeon. His eyes began to adjust to the darkness, and that's what he saw: a dungeon. 

He noticed then that his arms had been suspended by some sort of chain on the wall. Panicked, he started to struggle against the chains, attempting to tear his arms free. 

He stopped when he heard some voices nearby. If  he was in a dungeon, these voices were coming from the room next door (or the hallway). He couldn't understand what they were saying, but the voices, one in particular, sounded eerily similar to someone he knew; someone he was close with. 

The voices grew louder and louder, more as if they were raising their voices at each other. The eerily similar voice sounded as panicked as Logan felt. 

Suddenly, there was a large slashing sound followed by a scream. Logan was petrified. 

He watched as a lump fell through the open door. It was too dark to see who it was, but it was definitely a person. An ever-growing puddle of liquid began to form beneath them. Blood, the six year-old concluded, horrified. The person began twitching and gagging like they couldn't breathe. Logan felt fearful tears roll down  his face. He couldn't tell who the person was, but they were being killed right in front of him, and he couldn't move.

He heard footsteps coming  through the door. The shadowy figure haphazardly kicked the dying person like a piece of garbage on the sidewalk. They then turned to the frightened six year-old, eyes glowing a malicious bright red. They began slowly walking in his direction, sword in hand. 

"Please don't hurt me," he whimpered helplessly. 

The figure raised the sword above their head and swung it towards the young boy.

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!"  

He was awake; he was alive; he was horrified.

He folded his arms in terror. There was a shock of pain when he touched his chest. He cautiously lifted his shirt and felt where the pain was with his hand. He lifted his hand back up to see dark red blood dripping down his hand. 

He screamed again. 

"Logan?" 

He looked up to see his sister beside his bed. She started wiping his tears as his breathing refused to slow. "You have a nightmare, buddy?" she asked.

Finally slowing his breathing, Logan nodded. His sister may have been tough, but she had a soft side for her family when they needed her. 

"Logan, are you okay?!" His parents rushed in the room. 

Logan didn't answer, still shaken from how real that dream felt, almost too real.

"He had a really bad nightmare," Accalia answered for him. 

Lloyd sat at the end of his son's bed and took his shaking hand. "Hey, Logan, do you want to tell me what this nightmare was about?" Logan was prone to nightmares, being as young as he is, but he's never had one that left him so shaken up and silent. 

"I-I was i-i-in a dungeon, a-and two p-people were yelling at each other, one of t-them s-s-sounded kind of l-like y-y-y-you, d-daddy. T-then..." Logan suddenly stopped. His father was the eerily similar voice he heard in his nightmare? That means that...he saw...

Logan started sobbing again. Then he looked down and realized that the blood from his hand had disappeared, as well as the slash on his chest. They were just part of the dream, he guessed.