41

My body sags into the seat of the car, no energy left in me. Reports I gave whenever needed, but it seemed everyone felt just as exhausted, so the ride home is almost in absolute silence. The little energy I do have, I use to look out the window and think. We'd blown up the source of their statement. They used it to burn organizations alive and evoke fear in us. If Veronica's information is completely accurate, it was the one and only factory.

I watched it go up in flames. Flames of yellow and green that rose higher than the buildings and swept through the property like wind. They'd retaliate. It was a matter of when and how hard they'd hit us. I'd be lying if I said I'm not nervous. But I am too tired to even worry, so I lay my head back and watch the world go by in wisps of green and blue.

Sleep tries pulling me in, nearly succeeding, until I feel pain shoot through my arm. I turn my head, finding Nicolas grabbing my bicep with a frown on his face. "You were shot."

"It was a graze."

His eyes lift only to glare at me. "Understating a bit, don't you think?" I bite back the pain as he moves my arm to inspect it. "You're still bleeding. It cut several layers of skin off. Why didn't you say anything?"

I sigh, pushing his hand off. "I forgot."

"You forgot?"

"Yes. Problem?" Shit. Not cool, Anastasia. I regret the words enough to continue speaking, trying to amend for them. "I'll get it checked when we arrive. Are you hurt?"

He doesn't speak, only looking in front of him with his face devoid of emotion. I wait, deciding pushing him isn't a good call, and feel like an asshole as I do. Projecting my anger at him was easy when he laid himself so openly for me, but he didn't deserve that. Ultimately, though, his silence becomes unbearable. I place a hand on his arm, waiting for his eyes to meet mine. "I'm sorry. That was mean. I should have said something, but it really was the last thing on my mind."

Nicolas nods. I don't tear my eyes from him even after. Slowly, he relaxes and shows me his elbow with a grin on his face. "I'm an idiot and fell as I came down from the tower."

I copy his smile. "Want me to kiss it better?"

His hand goes to the back of my head, pulling it to him and kissing the top of it. "Maybe later."

The rest of the ride is in silence. I don't voice the way the stinging of my wound is now on the forefront of my mind, making it feel like my entire arm is laying atop a furnace. It'll just get me scolded. Not to mention, it was just a graze. Overreacting isn't necessary. 

We reach the Red Point without any mishaps, everyone entering silent and orderly. Whatever went down will be discussed once everyone is safely inside. Nicolas doesn't let me go as we make our way inside, the rest of our circle following close behind us. The moment we are all inside my office in the warehouse, I shut the door and the discussion begins.

"What are the reports on what's leftover of the factory?" I ask Mateo, taking my seat at the head of the table. Right on cue, my father walks in. The respect everyone has for him is put to show as no one asks questions and wordlessly move out of his way until he sits on the seat next to mine.

Mateo clears his throat. I know my father's presence makes them nervous like never before. They grew up at his side and now they're running his business. They want every moment to seem like all his guidance paid off. I gesture Mateo to continue after his nerves seem to block him. We can't have this with so many people watching us.

"The surveillance of the factory hasn't been completed yet," he puts his game face on. "The drones are still going around, but it shouldn't be long. So far, however, it seems no survivors."