New Semester, New Memories

We moved, after a little while, into Kukulang, easily commandeering a table for the four of us. I, of course, ordered chips and eggs while the others opted for drinks alone. Conversation was light, the scene was relaxed, and so, entirely by design, Hope and I started talking. She told me about a time we briefly met in our second year, and though I tried, for the life of me I couldn't remember. We spoke about our crazy families, overprotective parents, annoying siblings, school, and relationships and so on. We spoke as if we'd known each other for years, like childhood friends just out for a drink.

And, the more we chatted, the more I found myself drawn to her. I was having so much fun. And, I'd like to think she was too. She put on this aura of mystery and guile, like a coquette at a party with beauty and intelligence to match. And those moments when she laughed, so carefree? I'll never forget the huge smile I had on my face when she laughed. I found myself drawing out my jokes, making it bigger and better just so that smile wouldn't leave. Like a trained pet, doing tricks over and over for a treat.

I loved her wicked personality. It was as if I was Indiana Jones and a whole new world had appeared before me. How could I not be attracted to it? To her?

And so the night wore on, and before we knew it, it was 9pm. Some time back, Jake and Clair had gone for a walk so, gentleman that I am, I walked her back to her hostel.

"What do you think about becoming a vampire?" I asked as we walked.

She considered the question, for a while staring at me—and then she smiled, brilliantly, wickedly, "I wouldn't mind actually. I would be stronger than you, and able to kill you without a second thought."

"It's not going to be that easy, you know" I smirked.

She told me about her love life, or rather lack of one, though apparently she'd had boyfriends. She'd never been in love, she said, until meeting Ayo, a medical student. I didn't know him but from her descriptions—a slim dark skinned guy with a very nice set of hair—I could easily picture him.

I hated him immediately.

She loved him, but he was a cheater and a player, and so she wanted to be the player not the played. She wanted to be Thor not Jane. She wanted to be Christian Grey not Anna.

She always sounded when she spoke of him, but I didn't see sad when I looked at her. I saw a coquette who broke men. I saw the player she sought to be.

She was going to break my heart someday, I knew then. I just didn't accept it.

We reached her hostel gate, and by this time we'd talked about everything possible, and yet barely scratched the surface. Our goodbyes were half-baked; neither of us wanted to leave but both knew she couldn't stay.

She turned to walk through the gate, but after hearing about Ayo I knew I had to say something to her. "It's a new semester," I blurted. "I'm sure you can make new memories with someone."

She turned back immediately, walked up to me, hugged me. And then her lips found mine.

It felt like a bomb going off in all the right places. I pulled her close, and then closer. I lost track of time as our lips battled for dominance—seconds, minutes, years—before finally, she won.

And then all too soon I was jolted back to the reality of watching her walk away.

I turned to leave and saw Oshione waiting for me, a confused look on his face. "If I hadn't seen that myself," he said, "I would never have believed you."

We walked back to Kukulang to get my food.