Blood and Glory

It's been a few months since I made the deal with Sheogorath to get Mercer, my son, back. At first I didn't feel any different then I did before, but it became obvious that my age was catching up to me.

Mercer was doing excellent in his training, he was almost as strong and fast as I was, but in time he would learn the importance of it and work to be better.

Today though, wasn't about training. Mercer was ready to become my second. I knew I'd have to do it sooner rather then later. I didn't know how much longer I'd be alive, and that was the worst part about not being cursed.

I take a deep breath and walked out onto the balcony that faced the gathered Black Priors. "Misfortune has fallen upon us in the last few months. Erzebet resurfaced, and Sheogorath enacted his revenge upon me." I say, and the Black Priors' focus was on me. "This will not stop us from doing what is necessary to protect Nirn. The Daedra's End Arena protects Nirn from Daedra, but we protect Nirn from itself!" The warriors shouted at the last part. They were devoted to the cause.

"The alliances think we're against them." I say. "The Aldmeri Dominion thinks we unleashed Erzebet to harm them. The Ebonheart blames us for the deaths of their innocents that died at Erzebets hands. The Daggerfall Covenant is no different!" The crowd roars again. "They did not declare war, but we must be prepared for the worst." I say, then turn around and look at Mercer who was standing in the door frame that leads from the balcony to the room beyond.

I wave for him to come forward. "It is time I name a new second incase of my demise." The crowd stays silent. "Mercer will be my second. He is not only my son, but an exceptional warrior. He had stood by my side and watched me lead all of you, and he is ready." I grab the adornment Larzen once wore from a table on the balcony. I had put it there for this. Mercer looks out over the crowd. He no longer looked like a boy to me. He was a man fit to be the leader of the army before him.

I hold it up for the crowd to see, then I had it to Mercer. "Tonight," I say loudly so all can hear. "We will celebrate Mercer and his bravery. We will also celebrate how far we have all come. We're not only warriors, we are brothers and sisters. I have one more announcement to make." I look at Zyllebal who had taken Mercer's place in the door frame.

"Today, we don't only recognize Mercer as my second, we welcome Mistress Zyllebal in the ranks of the Black Priors." Zyllebal walks forward, and her armor glints in the sunlight. She looked almost majestic in white. "We welcome Zyllebal!" I yell and the Black Priors strike their swords against their shields to create a spark. They all shout after. It was almost like a loud roar from a dragon.

The crowd starts to disperse and I stand with Mercer and Zyllebal. "Congratulations, you two. You've earned it." Zyllebal nods, and Mercer hugs me. I wasn't expecting it. I hug him back.

"Thank you." He says quietly, then let's go of next. "Remember what I said the first day I was here?" I nod. I didn't quite know where he was going with this. "Well, if I would have known then what I know now, I wouldn't have said that to you. I've had the most adventure with you then I ever did living with mom. I didn't even know I wanted this sort of adventure, but I don't regret coming here." I nod. I didn't regret accepting him into the Black Priors.

"I don't regret letting you stay." I reply. Mercer and I walk back into the inner fortress. "You can take that adorment to Lauritz to get it added to your armor whenever. You're my second now so there's no need to train." I say, then walk towards my quarters. Mercer follows me.

"I'll do that soon. I should wait until later so people don't crowd around me. I'm sure some of them aren't very happy about me becoming second. Especially Larzen." I nod. He was right. I enter my quarters to see a letter on the desk. No one sends me letters.

I approach the desk and pick up the letter. It was thick parchment with a red seal on it. I didn't recognize the seal and I look at Mercer. "You've been out of this fortress more then I have. Do you recognize this seal?"

Mercer shakes his head and grabs the parchment from me. "I've never seen it before." Mercer says, then hands it back to me. I break the seal and open the parchment. It had a handprint on it with no elaborations. I look at Mercer and his eyes were wide.

I hand him the piece of parchment. "Do you know what this means?" I ask. I didn't have a clue, but Mercer seems to know.

He takes it, and stares at it. "It's the mark of the Dark Brotherhood." He says, and I can see the fear in his face. I had heard of the Dark Brotherhood, but I've never encountered them. This message meant I was marked for death.

Before either of us could register what was happening, I feel a fire burn through my back, then through my chest. I look down to see the tip of a blade sticking out of my chest. I look up at Mercer, his eyes wide. "I-" I try to speak but it feels as if I'm choking on my own blood.

"Vortiger!" Mercer yells.

Whoever my attacker was, withdrew their sword and I fall to my knees. I hold my hands to my chest. I move them for a second to see my hands wet with blood. I hear scurrying and Mercer draws his sword. I fall onto my side. The pain was excruciating. I feel blood dripping from the wound, and in this moment, I knew it was my final.

I see the shadowy assassin standing in front of Mercer. Mercer looked angry. "Surrender yourself assassin!" He yells, but the assassin doesn't listen.

The assassin throws himself at Mercer, knocking him over. Mercer was stronger though, and throws the assassin off him. Mercer may be strong, but the assassin was faster. The assassin buries his blade in Mercers throat. Mercer drops to the ground and the assassin runs.

I would have yelled and shouted, and chased the assassin, but the light was fading fast, and soon it was gone.