Prologue

The snow blew around outside like children were having a snowball fight. Big, thick flakes bumped around the battered old house's windows.

"Angel, what do we do? We've been surviving on nothing, and now that my job is gone, it's all gone! We are going to starve! And you want me to hope for a little magic? THAT'S JUST NOT GOING TO WORK!" Laurence yelled. "And we're expecting a baby. I think that we should beg on the streets, but what do you think? You want me to wish for a little magic. Well, guess what? NO."

"Laurence, please, please..."

At that moment, a huge gust of wind blew the door open. A queer looking little person stepped into the room. He was about a meter tall, squat and had very pointy ears. He came, and looked very hard into Angel's eyes. "Do you believe in magic?" he asked

"Y-y-yes, I do"

"And do you believe in magic?" Now he was staring in Laurence's eyes.

"No, I don't"

"Well, you should. I was going to give you all that you ever needed and more, but as one of you doesn't believe in magic, I'll have to wait. I'll come again tomorrow, but if you haven't changed your mind, then I will let you starve."

Then he opened the door, stormed out, and left.

"See what you've done? We could have had everything we wanted, and now he left, and it's all because of you! You sly little hater! Aren't you going to do anything to help me and the baby?" Angel questioned with anger.

"That guy. He looked familiar. What was it? Do you think he was an elf, or what was he?

"I don't care, as long as you have changed your mind and the next time he comes you will tell him that you believe in magic! She huffed off, going very slow because of her big belly.

The next day, the little man came again.

"Do you now believe in magic?"

Angel looked at her husband expectantly. She had not talked to him for the entire night.

"I do believe in magic"

"All right then, so you do. I shall now give you riches more than you could desire. Just hand me the child."

"What child?" Laurence asked.

"The child that you have. Don't you have one?" The little man sighed.

"Yes, we do, but it is inside Angel!" he said.

"So? I can still get to it from there. Just hand me your wife for a little bit"

"No! We've been through enough."

"Would you like me to do the magic in front of you?"

"That would be better, yes."

So the little man stumbled over to Angel, and put his hands on her ever growing belly. He said some magic words and then he stepped back.

"Your child will be born tomorrow, on one of the most magical days of the calendar year. May 31st."

Angel and Laurence were overjoyed. Yet they thought, what type of magic did the little man give their child?