Chapter 23

Chapter 23

As quietly as possible, Uche wandered about the class for a free seat while the lecturer drone on. The hall wasn't usually this filled up but this course had amassed a great number of carry over students, so the extras made themselves available, not because they craved knowledge but to have their names ticked for having attended.

She found an empty one in a row of guys.

"It's bad." One of them quietly told her.

"I'll manage. Thanks." Uche leaned past him and tested the chair by pressing down the middle. Its legs were wobbly.

"You can have my seat." He scooted over to occupy the bad chair, flashed a perfect set of white teeth at her, which starkly contrasted his dark skin.

Just then someone tapped her arm and directed her attention to Rita who was at the back, pointing at the empty seat her bag had occupied.

"Young lady, if you aren't going to sit down, leave the class."

Uche ducked her head,saying, "Sorry, sir," and made her way over to Rita.

The lecture ended about thirty minutes later. The grizzled, grim-faced lecturer frowned at the class. "Look at how many of you turned up, just because you heard that today might be the end of this course for this semester--well, it is. I know the attendance is your aim, which is unfortunate. As of now, it's invalid."

Groans sounded. Everyone clamored.

"Serves you all right," He continued amidst the noisy protest. "You will fight for all 100 marks in the exams, which, i guarantee you will be as tough as getting employed after you graduate. See you on judgement day."

"I can't believe he would pull something like this on us," Rita groused as decorum returned. "That was my only hope. Do you think he will take block money this time?"

"Doubt it," Uche replied, flipping pages of her note. "Heard he's a sadist. You can try, though."

"Great," Defeated, Rita's shoulders slumped. "I'm so going to fail." She muttered under her breath.

"Hey, can I use your note to update mine? You were here early right?"

"Sure," Rita handed it over. "I was just a few minutes late, but I didn't jot down much. Fill in what you can. I'll look for someone who has a complete note when you're done."

"You weren't around for weeks," Uche began as she speedily wrote. "Everything all right?"

"Uhm, yeah," Rita couldn't hide her surprise, and smiled. " Something came up.....I got a place of my own-- for my business--and I needed some time to put things in order."

"Congrats,"

"Thanks........I also lost contact with someone close to me, a friend. Nobody knows where she is or how to reach her. I tried doing some searching. Nothing." Heaving, Rita looked despondent, debilitated, . "I keep wondering if she's okay."

"I'm sure she'll turn up eventually."

"Hope so," Rita was quiet for a moment. "Thank you,"

"For?"

"For asking, for caring."

"It's just an observation."

"Well," chuckled Rita, "thank you for observing. These days, I could skip a whole year and no one here would even remember my name. I appreciate it."

When Uche's pen stopped working, Rita offered hers. "I have another," she refused, and noticed the goofy way Rita's face brightened, the way she stared at her. "Why are you looking at me like that?"