The Empousai

Empusa was a beautiful demigoddess, the daughter of the Goddess Hecate - Goddess of magic, crossroads, trivial knowledge and sorcery - and the spirit Mormo. She was known to feast on the blood of young men by seducing them as they slept, devouring their flesh. Her name by folk etymology was said to mean "one-footed," which caused her to be depicted as a one-legged hybird, a woman with a donkey's leg and a brass prosthetic leg.

Later, Empusa was reduced to being a species of spectre called Empusae. The Empusae were sent by Hecate to guard roads and devour travelers. Empusae were known to run and hide, creating a high pitched scream at the sound of insults. They were gruesome beings, defying Empusa's appearance completely.

After the Empusae, her character was reduced further. A species called the Empousai was created. The Empousai were given back the beauty of their demigoddess ancestor, along with her gift of seduction. The Empousai appeared as normal human women with an exquisite beauty that rendered any human speechless.

As a result of their effect over humans, the Empousai found themselves among the last living Hadis. By this time, no God or Goddess gave any care for the descendants of Empusa, making them great company for the Hadis.

The Empousai often traveled with groups of Hadis men, supplying them with their own life force when the Hadis needed to feed. This allowed for the Hadis to live in the shadows, only feeding from the humans they could easily capture. In return, some Hadis would offer themselves to the Empousai, allowing them to feed. They didn't devour men like Empusa did, they fed in a more similar fashion to the Hadis. Although they were partners, the Empousai were said to live under the control of the Hadis.