Chapter 20 - Endings and Beginnings

The relationship between Shirley and I continued to thrive. I now had three god-daughters, a great job, money flowed and love was eveywhere. Carson faded into the background, and as word got to him that Shirley, his kids and grandkids were loved and treated well be me he began to come around. The hate began to transform. During his time away he became a devout Christian. He began to visit his family respectufully. But, the realtionship between Shirley and I was going to take a turn. A turned that found me in the arms of another woman...

Like any relationship, ours started to become argumentative, nothing major at first, but they became more and more frequent. My response to that was to take to the street more. Peter and I started spending weekends at the clubs and bars, drinking and dancing. I began going out without  Shirley.  One night after bar-hopping, Peter and I winded up with the superior munchies and hit Kennedy Fried Chicken to get our grub on. As we sat against Peter's car eating chicken and listening to music while also checking out all of the post party chicks, a tall light skinned chick laden with gold jewelry strolled by with her entourage of females. She was clearly The Queen Bee! I turned to Peter and said, 'Damn, look at her!' Peter started laughing hard before saying, 'Oh, that's Sheila.' I said, 'You know her?' He nodded his head. I asked him to introduce me to her. When she came out with her food and began to pass us by, he said hello to her and introduced me. Little did I know then, she would be the only woman on Earth who would give me a child, my first and only one!

 Little did I know then, she would be the only woman on Earth who would give me a child, my first and only one!

 (My Son: Kareem David Omari Samuels aka The Seed)

The summer night that I met Sheila on found her and I talking and eating casually, vibing immediately. She was Jamaican. Tall, golden, chinky-eyed, very sexy, she had my full attention, despite Shirley being at home. Sure, there was some guilt, but when you're buzzed? We talked for awhile before her friends began pressuring her to bail. Back then, we all wore beepers on our hips, it was the thing. I gave her my beeper number. Thus began communication between Sheila and I. Beeping let to phone calls, phone calls led to hanging out, and hanging out led to...eventually her and I becoming we. We started spending a lot of time together. She would stop by my job to bring me home cooked Jamaican food, with torrid make-out sessions in the hallway of my unit at Edwin Gould.

Then the pressure of living in between two women reached a breaking point. Sheila knew about Shirley, but Shirley didnt know about Sheila, but she later found out through street word of mouth. One day when I took Shirley shopping at a local supermarket, the two ran into each other inside. Before I knew it, I saw Sheila backing out of the store in caution mode as Shirley pulled a knife out of her purse, they had gotten into a fight inside the store. The arguments got explosive. I had to make a choice. Was I going to stay with Shirley or go with being with Sheila? I left home, and moved in with Sheila.

 Was I going to stay with Shirley or go with being with Sheila? I left home, and moved in with Sheila

(Kareem and Sheila aka The Seed and Baby Mama)

Moving in with Sheila was okay.  It kept me close to my job, and she and I started a clothing and assessories business. We didn't live alone either. Sheila had a teen-aged daughter, and I didn't move in until the three of us talked about it. Once this was worked out, I moved my stuff in and started to live there. A few months in and Sheila got pregnant. A first in my life, no other woman that I had been with ever got pregnant. Why remains a mystery... We were thrilled. But, God wasn't ready for us to be parents yet, for his own reasons I guess. She lost the baby while going to the bathroom. As I held her in my arms while she cried hard, I looked over her shoulder and saw the little embryo in the toilet bowl. So much sadness for several weeks. She got depressed and slept  alot. Then, coming from the Palladium Disco one night shortly after her misscarriage, and in search of distraction from losing our baby, I got rear-ended by a taxi cab that lost its brakes on a rain-slicked road. I sustained a serious back injury, now we were both home all day. This could have been a bad thing, but it wasn't. This led to more love-making, and before long, Sheila was pregnant again. Then, The Miracle Baby was born...