7

VINCE

I left Dawn in the dining room with a dumbstruck look on her face. Her breasts were like fruit, at least the size was similar. All I could think about was having her beneath me, naked, burning up as I had my way with her.

I started bringing the breakfast plates over when my mother stopped me.

"You two need to talk. Whatever happened last night to make both of you so awkward around each other is unsettling and I won't have it."

The long lashes that my mother had made her eyes look half closed and sad, as if she were about to cry. My mother was a beautiful woman with dark brown hair that's accented with red strands. Her skin was pale but had a blush to it constantly.

" Yeah, you're right. After breakfast I'll take her home." I said giving her a smile to try and put her at ease. I've been hard on her this last year, but I never hated her.

°°°

Dawn stood at the doorway giving my mom a hug that lasted longer than normal. The two were very close since the incident considering that Dawn was the one who convinced Alda to side with my mom.

The embrace was cut off once the engine in my car started. The hum filled the interior as I waited with closed eyes for Dawn to get in the passenger seat. The light from the trees painted my eyelids with red and yellow tones that flashed in a rhythm only trees can do. They continued to waltz on Dawn as she sat in the passenger seat with her schoolbag clutched to her chest.

I didn't know what to say and I didn't want to force her to talk about it. The radio was the only thing that filled the air as I drove along the forest blocked highway just outside this metal cage.

Finally, after several minutes, Dawn let out a sigh loud enough to catch my attention.

"What are we gonna do now, Vin? We can't just stay innocent friends, can we?"

I leaned again the window trying to find some comfort in the damp mood.

"Can't we? Nothing happened that was truly irreversible. Friends can have heated make outs. It happens. It's not like we broke a cardinal law or something."

"No, but like," she positioned herself to face me more directly, "How can you be so calm about this and not be worried about what Jen or my mom think about what we did!"

I rubbed my eyes out of nervous habit.

"Jen and Alda have been talking about us being married since we were kids. I doubt them finding out we are attracted to each other would cause a family fued settled in a bake off."

My attempt at lightening the mood resulted in a flustered scoff from Dawn which meant only one thing.

" Vince this isn't a fucking joke. They might have said that when we were 4 but since then so much has changed. You've almost gotten married to 3 girls at our school because of how lovestruck you were and I've only ever brought one of the 20 million guys who asked to date me. "

"And how does that relate to any of this! Tell me, Dawn, what the hell gives you the right to bring that up when they have nothing to do with us being together!" I raised my voice and pulled over.

I wasn't seeing red when I yelled at her. I was just reminded of how fast most people leave me and she knew that hurt more than anything my family could do.

Dawn sat still in the passenger seat. Her breathing was slow and heavy. She was mad, but I had no reason to say it was unjustified.

We sat in silence as cars rushed by us shaking the car. The time crawled by slowly until it was almost 11:30 when Dawn finally broke the silence.

"Just take me home."

The rest of the short drive was quiet and heavy on the soul. It wasn't a proper fight, but regardless neither of us was agreeing with the other.

°°°

When we pulled into the dirt driveway, Dawn spoke again.

"I'm going to be working a lot until graduation so I won't be at your house as much. I think we both need time to think about what we want since I'm leaving for college in a few months." She looked at me with sad eyes.

I didn't say anything as she grabbed her things and walked towards her cabin style house that had become overgrown with ivy.

I shouldn't be the person making her sad. I never wanted that. I want her to feel good, but instead I help crumble the foundation of our friendship.

As I pulled out of the driveway, I danced around ideas in my head that'd help her feel better and leaving her alone was the only one that would cause less issues. So avoiding her until graduation seemed long enough.