Part 1: Zoe and Charlotte

Zoe was only 24 years old when she found out she was pregnant, and 25 when she had her first and only child, Charlotte. She remembers the day perfectly. It was early-May and she was alone in the hospital. Reruns of Law&Order plays on the TV as the doctors yelled at her to push. 

Now, ten years later, Zoe has made a life for herself and Charlotte all by herself. She opened up a bakery of her own and paid off her loans in fine time, she's gotten Charlotte through a series of ballet classes, acting camps, and has helped with homework as best she can. She even purchased her very first home, which she furnished with the best intentions. Sure, none of this came easily, nothing does, especially as a single parent, but Zoe did it. 

Charlotte never asked much about her father. In fact, she's only asked about him three times in her life, but Zoe had always changed the subject and Charlotte caught on quickly that the subject was off limits. However, there was one particular night in which Charlotte's curiosity grew. Soon, she wasn't just interested in her father, but every guy in Zoe's life. She wondered why she's never seen her mother date and if her mother had ever been in love like the princesses in all her stories. 

It was a quiet Autumn night when Charlotte asked. Zoe was in bed, reading a novel, when Charlotte came in. 

"What are you doing?" Zoe asked, "it's passed your bedtime!" 

Charlotte ignored her and climbed up into the bed, getting between Zoe and her book. 

"Have you ever been in love?" 

Zoe looked at Charlotte with a soft smile, "of course," she answered, bringing her in close for a hug. "Why are you asking?" 

"Because, I've never seen you with anybody." Charlotte replied. "Who have you been in love with?" 

"Well, many people!" 

"But, who? Do I know any of these people?" 

"No, honey, you weren't born yet. I was much younger then." 

Charlotte sat up from Zoe's hands and turned to face her. 

"Tell me, mom." 

Zoe laughed, but then quickly knew from Charlotte's face that she meant business. 

"I'm not sure this is the time or place, honey. I'll tell you all about it when you're old--" 

"--Mom!" Charlotte exclaimed with that notable pre-pubescent squeal, "you always say that. Come on! It's not a school night and you've never talked about any of your relationships. I mean, I know what sex and a period is, I think I'm old enough to hear about this!

Zoe looked Charlotte in the eyes. She could see that twinkle in the blue, the same kind of twinkle she once possessed at her age. She could feel it in her bones, even her heart, that tonight was the night. 

She placed down her book and brought Charlotte into her arms. 

"Alright, honey. I guess we'll start with my first love. His name was Jake..."