Chapter 2

Anna

The constant buzzing of my phone woke me up from my beautiful dream. I checked the caller ID and answered with an eye roll, "What the hell do you want foo?"

"Oh, hey Anna! I'm great! Thanks for asking, and you?"

"I would've been fantastic if you didn't interrupt my dream." I rubbed the saliva off my chin and rubbed the sleep from my eyes.

"Lemme guess, beef and meatball phó."

"I was so close to tasting it!"

Ray's deep chuckle rang in my ear, "Well it's time to get ready. We got a party to attend."

I groaned loudly, "I already told you I don't wanna go."

"And I already told you it wasn't a question."

"King, there is no way I'm gonna go to that damn party. Goodnight."

"Wait, wait, wait, wait!"

"What?"

"Look out your window."

I ended the call and got off my bed. I walked towards my window and saw that idiot blond with a grin on his face. I wasn't going to open the window and he knew it too, so he started throwing pebbles.

The sounds of the rocks hitting the glass was loud and could wake up my mom. I quickly slid up the window and was greeted by a sharp pain above my eyebrow.

"You dumbass!" I whisper yelled while rubbing the pain that circulated the top of my eye.

Ray chuckled and put his hands up in protest, "It ain't my fault you opened the window while I was throwing my rocks."

I turned around and searched for the evil rock that hurt me. Once I found it I threw it out the window.

I heard an 'ow' followed by a, "Fuck you, eggroll!"

I laughed loudly but covered my mouth when my laugh grew louder. I looked down and saw Ray holding his forehead while sticking up his middle finger. "Goodnight, cornbread!"

"Ah, ah, ah, get your ass down here right now!"

"And why would I do that?"

"So I can kick your ass, Chang!"

"Hmm, sounds real fun, but sleep sounds better."

"In order of your best friend, I demand you to get your ass down here this instant!"

Oh yeah. Ray has been my best friend ever since freshman year. I had just moved to Texas from China and I knew absolutely no one. Ray stepped up and was the first to talk to me. We called each other by last name, it was our thing. He introduced me to his friends, the girls, Don and Lizzy. And the guys, Sam, Mike, Miles, Brennon...and Josh. Josh was Ray's best friend until I came along and ruined everything.

The guilt filled every bone in my body and a soft spot opened up. Ray has always been there for me and has done so much, and at least I can do this one thing for him.

A small smile tugged at my lips, "Fine."

"Wait what?" Ray cuffed his hand around his ear, "Come again?"

My eyeballs did their daily job and rolled, "Shut up before I change my mind."

Ray lifted up his hands and trailed his fingers across his lips, "Not sayin' a word."

I threw on some dark skinny jeans, a White-T, my basketball letterman jacket, and some sneakers. I climbed out the window before shutting it tight. I carefully and quietly walked across the roof until I met the lonely tree that stood near my house. I hated sneaking out because I was afraid of scratching my shoes against the tree.