Chapter 3

Félix could only look at the sobbing girl in front of him, unsure of how to comfort her.

"You're the only one who talks to me; how could you leave? How could you leave me out of nowhere?"

"I didn't mean—"

Lila shoved her palms into her eyes. "No! No, Félix, if you didn't mean to, then you wouldn't have tried to leave without telling me. I had to find out from my mom."

"Lila, it wasn't my choice. You know that Mother disapproves," Félix attempted to explain.

"But I don't see her disapprove of me, Félix! Are the four months we spent together complete lies? Did you lie to me those entire four months? You can't just leave!"

"How could you question that, Lila? Why won't you believe me? I swear that it's Mother, I wouldn't do that to you."

Lila clenched her fists at her sides. "Stop blaming your mother, Félix. She's been nothing but kind to me. She's the only person besides you that talks to me. I thought you loved and respected both of us, but I can see that you clearly do not. It was all a game, wasn't it?"

Félix's patience was starting to run out. "Just because you have low self-esteem does not mean you need to take it out on me." A pause filled the atmosphere. Everyone hurried into the trains, but time stood still around Lila and Félix.

Lila stopped and looked down, "leave, Félix. Leave me here and go to London. I don't care. I absolutely hate you. Goodbye."

"Fine, I'll leave. It's not like I'm happy here with you anyways."

***

"How did it go, sweetie?" Amelie asked.

"Not well, Mother. Maybe you were right." Félix said, a sour feeling at the back of his throat.

"Of course I was, sweetie. Did you see her state? She's manipulative and is probably after you for money. All girls like her are. That Marinette seems absolutely adorable, though. Shame your cousin got to her first."

"Don't say that about Lila, Mother. She may be broken, but she is still genuine."

Amelie scoffed, "get those silly thoughts out of your head. Don't tell me you're actually in love with her?"

Félix twisted the ring Lila had given him off his finger. "No, Mother, I'm not in love with her."