Chapter 12, Part B: All Over Again

DUNCAN'S PERSPECTIVE 

Attentively, I rotate the dinner plates around, making sure that they are completely in line with the table. Usually I wouldn't be the type to go all out for a date, especially considering that this isn't even a 'date'. I am more so a 'let's grab some takeout' kind of guy. But something about Courtney makes me want to try, to put in the effort in, and receive the desired outcome.

And that's exactly what I got, when I turned around to see a dazzling Courtney admiring the setup. She looks so angelic. 

The dress she is wearing was practically designed for her, complimenting every part of her body so graciously. But it is her face that makes my little heart thaw out of my chest. I notice she is blushing at the sight of everything, and I experience the same sensation, with my cheeks glowing an outstanding red. "Princess, you look..incredible," I say, totally gawking over her. "Duncan, I have no words! This is... amazing!" For the first time in my life, I witnessed Courtney lost for words. She always would have something to say about anything, but not this time, she is utterly mind-blown. 

Cinematically, she runs up the red carpet towards me. I saunter closer to her and she throws her arms around my neck, just dangling her legs in the air. "Duncan! You're awesome," she beams. I place my hands onto her waist and whisper into her ear, "anything for you Princess." I unhook her arms from my neck and slot her back onto the carpet. Attempting to be a gentleman, I offer her my bent arm to wrap hers around, too which she accepts. 

In unison, I guide her down the rest of the carpet to the table. "You know," she says, "For a dinner that's just meant to be a celebration, it's awfully romantic, huh? And for a guy who 'doesn't care' about anything, you have put a lot of effort in." I chuckle at her words, countering, "And for a girl who 'knows everything', you seem to be disproven by me yet again." She rolls her eyes at me and retorts, "At least be grateful that I complimented you!" Man, I love this girl. 

Arriving at the table, Courtney observes around her, sniffing the scents and gazing at the sharp points of light in the sky. I pull out her chair for her, and she thanks me. I then get myself comfortable, sitting right across from her. 

"Duncan, you really didn't have to put this much effort in, like this is all so surreal, and even the food..." she exclaims sympathetically, staring down at the bowl of carbonara in front of her. I but in and ressasure, "Princess, it's fine. Like I said before, anything for you." She smirks before rebutting, "Stop that Duncan! You know how much I hate being called that!" She totally doesn't. "Well, I hope you enjoy your dinner, Princess." The brunette scoffs and rolls her eyes, taking a dig into her pasta. As the brunette bites into it, she pauses for a moment, oh no; is it bad?  She looks up at me, surprised, and asked while covering her full mouth, "Did you make this yourself?"

I look at her weirdly, "Yeah, why?" She swallows her mouthful, before finishing, "This is so good! Like some of the best pasta I have ever had!" I produce a genuine smile, "Gee thanks Princess, what did you think I was going to do, poison you or something?"

She snickers at me, "Honestly, yes." 

"No seriously though, this is so nice Duncan. I don't think anyone has ever done something this nice for me before." I stare at her slightly frown. Questioning, I say, "What, Scott hasn't ever organised something like this before?" She shakes her head and finishes, "Well like he has taken me out on dates before but never like this. It was always a half-assed effort, which stings considering everything that I would do for him. But that doesn't matter anymore. What matters is the present and the future. And right now, you are my present."

"And maybe I could be your future," I say whilst giving her a wink. She shoots a glare and speaks in a monotone manner, "Nice try Duncan." I pretend to be hurt by her words, holding my chest and whisper-yelling, 'ouch'. To this, Courtney giggles and continues to tuck into her pasta.