it should have been me.

it had been a while since the war, and i was utterly in love with the jerk i called an ally. he forced things onto me, like push ups and sit ups. he knew i couldnt do it, but he told me to anyway. if i couldnt, he yelled and made me keep trying. "jou need to do better. now do it!" he'd yell. now, i was out in my secret tree house. only Lovi knew where this was. i was crying and hugging my raggedy old hat from Holy roman empire.

"italy.... i kept my promise...."

i heard the voice i oh so loved, the voice of the boy who didnt care if i was man or woman.

"HOLY ROMAN EMPIRE!!" i yelled, sobbing.

"don't cry. i'm here, with you. i'm just not as strong as your grandpa, so i can't stay for long..."

my mind raced, my body wracking sobs making my body jerk back and forth. "H-Holy Roman Empire.... i miss you..." i whispered, the tears now silently dripping off my chin and nose. "i love you italy... i'll be back as soon as i can." he said, the echoes of his voice gone. i curled myself and cried again and again.

it should have been me.

i stayed up there for at least a week, until there was shouting and yelling from towards the tree's. "up here." i heard. i sat, staring at the door, the tears dried up on my cheeks, leaving tear stains through the dirt that found its way to my face. the door burst open and i saw Germany. he ran over and hugged me tightly, making me want to cry again. "i'm so sorry.... i got so worried, you idiot!" he said. i saw lovi standing there, not approving. i saw him smile a bit tho, when he watched me clumsily get up and walk over to him. i hugged my brother, listening to his heartbeat. "i saw him...." "who?"

"i saw Holy Roman Empire...." i said. time froze. Roma tensed up, germany froze and looked at me, and everything was quiet. "no, brother, you didnt." he said. i nodded and shook him. "I saw him! i did!" i yelled, wanting him to believe me. "Non hai mai fidi di me! (you never trust me)" i screeched. "perche il vostro un idiota! (because your an idiot!)" he yelled as we hit eachother. we were fist fighting, not caring that spain and germany were trying to pull us apart. "perche sei sempre cosi dire? tu chiede mai quello che voglio, tu bullo! (why are you always so mean? you never ask what i want, you bully)" i screamed. finally, germany and spain got us apart and i kept struggling to get back to fighting my brother. suddenly, pain went through my haid and my vision went black.

"who are you?!" "I am you, you are me. i'll take over, and someday, i'll rule this world..."

i opened my eyes and a grin played on my mouth. my hair went a shade or two darker, my clothes turning beige. i looked in the window, frightened as i tried yelling out, my eyes glowing purple. "R-ROMA-" i was cut off by a shush, from myself. "so, Fratello~ we should get along to home, don't you think?" i said. he looked frightened. "Luciano.... YOU BASTARD, I'LL KILL YOU! GIVE HIM BACK!" Lovino screamed. i grinned and laughed, Romano's eyes leaking tears. "Lovi, what are you doing?" spain asked. "luciano is the 2p of my-a brother.... he has taken him.... mi Fratello.... he took him..." Lovi said. "took him where, lovi?" spain asked, spacey. everyone facepalmed at that. "not a bright one, eh hotshot?" i asked. "for once i agree, you murdering pscycopath of a bastard." "oh, don't be that way Lovi~ oh shi-" i fell limp and half of my hair color faded back to its original color. "help me, fratello, help me...." he whispered, before the color went back to luciano's. "Shut up! i-a can't have this right-a now, you know that." i said, well, luciano did. "give him back." i heard a deep voice demand. "wh-what? L-Lutz...?" Luciano asked. i felt tears in my eyes and they escaped through Luciano's eyes. "wh-what..? ST-STOP CRYING-A IDIOTA! your making it look like-a i'm crying and not you!" Luciano demanded aloud. i sobbed uncontrollably, because i felt alone. "Give back what you stole. now." i heard the same deep voice demand, a harder tone this time. i felt a push and i shouted in surprise. "Wh-whats going on?!" i asked, scared. i looked around and saw Roma. "L....Lovi? A-am i back?" i whispered, tears welling in my eyes. "Si fratello, si!" he exclaimed, hugging me tightly. i hugged back and sobbed quietly. "hey.... mi hermano..." i heard. i looked over and wiped my cheeks and eyes. "i am-a so glad i wasn't taken..." i said, giggling. "not the last of him, the bastard..." Roma said, hugging me tightly and nuzzling his face into my neck. my cheeks felt hot and i realized i was blushing. "r-roma.... you've changed.... a lot since when we were kids...." i whispered, gripping his shirt tightly. "sh-shut it, i haven't changed at all!" Roma said and giggled. "Fratello...?" "Si?" "i'm sorry that i was-a so annoying all these years..." i said. "i'm sorry i was a jerk all these years... i'll change now..."

mi fratello.... he's going to change...?

i pushed him back and looked at him.

"no. don't. i like you just the way you are." i said. the truth was that i actually hated the way he was, but it would trouble him to change. i wanted peace between us, but we are polar opposites. "are you sure?" Roma asked. i nodded and he smiled, helping me down the ladder of the treehouse. "i know its not what you really want, but im going to let you have your way, even if it does result in you crying." Roma said and sighed. he led me to our house and we made food together. the rest of the day was uneventful, really.