Act 4 - Chapter 92: Twisted Revelations

From Solar's office, Detective Jung Wheein had observed everything happen in real-time thanks to the live feed from the security cameras that were installed in the operating theatre and had immediately made for the operating theatre the moment she saw Eunwoo stab the female doctor.

Unlike her friendship with Solar, Moonbyul and Wheein had met and forged an alliance out of complete happenstance. While Wheein did not approve of Moonbyul's family business, she viewed it as a necessary evil but did not hesitate to voice her disapproval when Moonbyul stepped over the law. On the opposite side of the coin, Moonbyul thought of Wheein as an advisor of sorts, just like Solar. To Moonbyul, Wheein was a litmus test that she could use to test just how far she could push the law to its limits. Moonbyul appreciated Wheein's straightforwardness as well, finding it refreshing among the voices of yes men and sycophants.

While many would have thought Wheein had become a dirty cop in the employ of a gangster, Wheein had never accepted any bribes or monetary gifts from Moonbyul. Instead, she asked for information on cases, like how she would from an informant. Moonbyul always gave her what she wanted although Wheein knew that she only did so after checking that the information wouldn't affect her own organization. Still, it was nice to have authentic information coming from a high-level source, and occasionally, Moonbyul would ask Wheein a favour as well.

Director Cha's sudden death seemed suspicious to her at the time, but there was nothing that she could do to prove that Eunwoo was responsible for his father's death. After all, it wasn't as if she could issue an arrest warrant just because she had a cold feeling about it. Although Eunwoo's alibi had proven airtight and eventually a nurse had been convicted of the director's accidental death, Wheein had still held onto her suspicions, but Cha Eunwoo had suddenly resigned from Yeoreum and disappeared from public life. Just when Wheein thought the trail had gone cold, Moonbyul had suddenly shown up asking her to conduct a private background check on Cha Eunwoo. Wheein had been shocked to find out that Eunwoo had enlisted as a Fallen Doctor within Moonbyul's organization and proceeded to tell Moonbyul of her misgivings against Eunwoo, while also conducting a proper background check on Eunwoo. Moonbyul had thanked Wheein for her assistance and gave vague hints about a plan that would reveal Cha Eunwoo's true colours.

At the time, Wheein hadn't understood her words, but as she had watched the surgery occur, Wheein had finally come to appreciate just how many steps Moonbyul had taken as a precaution. The two doctors that she had recruited from Yeoreum had mentioned synchronization, something that Moonbyul had also mentioned would be crucial to her operation. Wheein had been stunned to watch them work in tandem with each other, assisting the other in wordless harmony while every interaction with Eunwoo seemed to cost a spoken word. It reminded her of when she had been on patrol with her various partners, how they had seemingly worked seamlessly together. Her superiors had noticed, lauding her for her prodigious leadership skills and laterally reassigned her to the detective track.

The doors to the operating theatre opened and out came Peniel, dragging an unconscious Cha Eunwoo with him. Wheein took one look at them and began to help Peniel move Eunwoo into another room.

"Wait."

The appearance of the female doctor had taken them both by surprise, especially when Wheein eyed the area that Eunwoo had stabbed his scalpel into. The doctor was holding her hand over her wound, presumably applying pressure to the area.

"You're injured," Wheein said as the woman walked towards them.

"This can wait until later," she replied as she looked down at Eunwoo's limp body. "Get him into the other operating theatre and on the table," she instructed Peniel. "Strap him down if you have to."

Wheein watched as Peniel paused momentarily. "Are you sure about this, Joy?"

"It'll be fine," Joy answered as she winced slightly. "We're going to sedate him."