Chapter 9.

— The Next Morning —

Raz took in a deep breath as he and Sam went down the path. Having already covered the whole town. Aside from one group.

The caravan was in sight, and despite it being so far away, just looking at it as he walked towards it made his bad eye sore.

Sam's expression stayed neutral, her entire demeanor remaining robotic and jauntily comfortable. Her eyes glanced very briefly at Raz before she broke her cycle of silence.

Sam B.: Nervous?

Raz only nodded.

Sam hummed.

Sam B.: I don't get why you won't just tell them what the doctor did.

Raz winced.

Razputin A.: What happened is too serious to tell them in a letter. There's a high chance none of them read the them to begin with. Besides, what if my younger siblings, Queepie and Mirtala got it first? It wasn't their fault. I don't want to accidentally plant the idea in their heads that it was.

That was what he was most worried about. His younger brother and sister who were still ten years old and too young to play a direct role in what happened to him. In fact, out of all parties involved, they were likely the most oblivious to what the hell happened that summer with that "doctor".

So, obviously, the idea that they could feel responsible for what happened terrified him. He knew what it was like to have that suffocating guilt. It was a long lasting experience that he wouldn't have wished on Dion, despite how often they argued. Let alone the youngest members of the family who had no reason to go through it in the first place.

Sam kept her eyes on the path. Expression eerily still as usual.

Sam B.: Fair enough.

The pair of psychonauts continued down the path in silence. The distant calls of Raz's mother, Donnatella, making it impossible for Raz to ignore what he was walking right into.

Someone watched from the trees, spotting the pair long before they returned the knowledge.

They leaped down, landing perfectly into the ground and gracefully folding herself back up into a standing position. Hands making their way to her hips as the three stared at each other. It couldn't be helped with any party involved.

Frazie, Raz's older sister, raised an eyebrow at the sight of them.

Frazie A.: Hey, Pooter. Finally got the guts to come talk in person?

The edge to her shrill voice made her dislike of the situation obvious. So Raz gladly returned the favor.

Raz A.: I would have let you know sooner, but I get the feeling you wouldn't have read the letter. And the situation that came up is last minute and extremely urgent.

Frazie frowned. Turning the topic elsewhere despite acknowledging the seriousness in his voice.

Frazie A.: Oh, I read that letter, all right,

Raz shrank back at her tone as she stalked closer to her brother.

Frazie A.: What was that about? Was that why you wanted to talk in person for so long?

Raz nodded. But turned the topic back.

Razputin A.: Yes, but that's not why I'm here. You know Oregon's in lockdown, right?

Frazie paused, leaning back slightly as she processed the information.

Frazie A.: It is?

Raz nodded.