Chapter Nine

Notes:

I don't claim to know anything about the true rules of deployment when it comes to girlfriends and how communications go. I'm just making this up to help with the drama of my story.

Jonathan sat through the briefing on his next assignment. All he could think about was Evelyn. How was she going to react to the news that he was deploying next week? When the briefing was over, Albert caught up with him in the hall.

"Hey, Jonathan, wait up." Jonathan turned and waited for Albert to catch up with him. He could tell from the look on Jonathan's face that he was not happy. "Dude, you knew this was going to happen sooner or later. This is what we signed up for."

Jonathan ran his hands through his hair in frustration, "I know, I know. It's just...things are going so great with Evelyn. I don't want anything to ruin that."

"I feel the same way about Jen, but they know what our jobs are, man." Jonathan nodded and sighed.

"Yeah, she knows. I guess this is going to be our first real test. If we can make it through a deployment, then maybe we can make it through anything."

"When are you going to tell her?"

"I'm going to her place this weekend. I'll tell her then. I'd rather not do it over the phone." Albert nodded solemnly. "How do you think Jen is going to take it?" Albert sighed heavily as he shrugged his shoulders.

"I honestly don't know. I mean, she says she can handle it, but..." Their eyes met and they each knew what the other was thinking. Albert shook his head as if to clear his mind of his doubt. He gave Jonathan a hopeful smile. "I'm sure it will all work out." Jonathan gave him a pat on the back and smiled.

"I'm sure you're right. I'll see you later."

"Later," Albert waved over his shoulder as he turned and walked away. Jonathan rolled his shoulders, trying to ease the tension. He headed to his apartment, grabbed his gun, and headed to the shooting range to try to blow off some steam.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

The next couple of days kept Jonathan busy. By the time it was Friday, he was mentally and physically exhausted. When he pulled up in front of Evelyn's house, he cut the engine and simply sat there for a moment looking up at it. He took a deep breath and finally climbed out of his car, grabbing his bag from the trunk. When he turned to head up the walk to her house, she was bounding down the steps and running to him. Jonathan felt his heart swell at the sight of her beautiful and excited face. He opened his arms and she jumped into them, wrapping her legs around his waist as her lips found his. Jonathan wished they could stay like that forever. He couldn't believe just how much he still craved her whenever they were apart. Her taste, her smell, the way her body fit so perfectly to his, everything about her was intoxicating to him. Evelyn smiled against his lips.

"I've missed you Soldier," she whispered, resting her forehead against his while her fingers ran through his honey blonde hair. He smiled at her, his hands roamed up and down her body as she clung to him.

"Not as much as I missed you, gorgeous." She stayed wrapped around his body as he slowly walked towards her house, one hand resting on her backside while the other carried his bag. Once they were finally inside her house, she slowly slid down his body, placing another kiss on his lips. When her eyes met his, she could immediately sense something was wrong. Her smile slowly faded, concern replacing the heat in her eyes.

"What's wrong?" Jonathan laughed nervously and tried to take a step back from her, but she tightened her arms around his neck, refusing to let him go. "Talk to me Jonathan." His blue eyes locked with hers and he was lost.