Chapter 14

They say a criminal always returns to the scene of the crime. I understand why.

At first, I just stayed to make sure Eric Colborne didn't get away. The cops responding to neighbors' calls about the noise in the street were... well, let's just say they really didn't expect to find Icemane chained to the front axle of a car. It wasn't until the patrol cars responding to Ellie's call arrived that I was confident things were under control. That was when I should've left. Icemane and the two mobsters were handcuffed, the police van was on its way, and I could still slip away without being seen.

But I didn't.

Detective Sloane showed up with the paddy wagon, barking orders and wagging his stubby fingers in every face he could find. Then came the reporters from the Evening Examiner, the local tabloid, gathering around like hungry vultures. Frankie Markopolos and his crew even showed up to have a look, and they were accompanied by the Cohen twins—the Montagnese family lawyers—who smiled and nodded their way through a fruitless attempt to get Detective Sloane to release Goldie Kominsky and Paul the Rabbit. It was probably the most crowded Harlan Street had ever been at six in the morning, and all because of me. I had punched the whole rotten system in the nose and nobody knew how to react. It felt good. And it was really fun to watch.

None of this is a good excuse, of course. I should have heard the soft crunch of approaching feet on the snowy rooftop. Instead, I heard the click of the safety being taken off of a handgun.

"So I guess you're still new at this."

It was a woman's voice. I whirled around and saw a police sergeant, her pistol trained on my forehead. She was black, and maybe thirty—I can never tell with adults—with a pretty face and some of the most on-point makeup I've ever seen on a police officer. Her hair was pulled back in one of those tight policewoman buns. You know what I mean.

"I figured you might stick around to watch your handiwork," she continued. "Not that I disapprove. I just wanted to ask you a couple questions."

I scanned my surroundings for an escape route. Short of jumping off the roof or risking a bullet to the forehead, there wasn't much I could do. Under the circumstances, I guess I was down for some small talk with the authorities.

"Okay, fine," I said. "Go ahead."

She gave a satisfied smile.

"How did you find Colborne?"

She couldn't tell, but I was grinning under my mask.

"I made Albert Rosinski think I already knew where he was. Rosinski called to tip off his buddy, and I got him when he switched hideouts."

"Clever. Dare I ask how old you are?"

Was it that obvious? I hoped it wasn't that obvious. Maybe she was just taking a stab in the dark. I drew myself up imperiously.

"Yeah, like I'm gonna tell you that."

"So you're a teenager. Great."

Okay, so maybe not that imperiously.

"You don't know that," I protested.

"You're not doing a great job of convincing me otherwise. Looks like you can handle yourself, at least. I like the cape."

She holstered her gun and took out a small notebook.

"You ruffled a lot of feathers tonight, and I like that. Most people in the department have given up on the Fen. They think people here deserve what they get. Me? I'm supposedly a starry-eyed idealist for thinking we owe something to the folks on this side of the river. I'm alone, and I'll take help wherever I can find it. If you ever need anything, you can find me at this number. Unofficially. If anyone asks, we've never spoken. Got it?"

I took the paper hesitantly. Beneath the phone number, I read the name "Sgt. Sarah Corrigan, SVU."

Special Victims Unit. Interesting. So all this Icemane stuff wasn't exactly her department.

"Got it," I said, pocketing the paper.

"Good. Now clear off. Every police detective in the North Wards will be here soon, and they won't all be as understanding as me."

She turned away, which I guess was to give me room to make a sneaky exit. I did my best not to slip in the snow as I climbed over to the next roof and made my escape. By the time I made it to the first safe fire escape, Sgt. Sarah Corrigan was nowhere in sight. I smiled to myself as I climbed back down to street level. I really had made an impression. I had even made an ally. Not bad for one night's work.

My self-congratulatory mood lasted until I heard Ellie's voice in my ear.

"Hey, so you know we have school today, right? Might be a little sus if you don't show up."

"Crap," I said. I would have to change behind a dumpster one more time.