Chapter Two

Chapter Two.

When the band went off stage, so did I, and still the blonde boy, who was called Adam, kept a firm hold of my hand. He leaded me to their tiny dressing room in the back of the club, which all the other singers and such used before and after they performed.

It was dingy and smelt heavily of smoke, I held my breath and put on a big smile. “So, what’s your name?” Adam asked me once we had all sat down.

“Elise.” I replied, shaking my head at the gothic-looking boy who was handing me a beer.

“Cool name, this is Lee,” Adam said pointing to the gothic boy, “and this is Carter.” He pointed the shy drummer beside him.

“Hi,” I mumbled quietly.

“I couldn’t help but notice how young and lost you looked down there, sorry for getting you onstage anyway, you looked kinda embarrassed.” Adam apologised.

“It’s fine,”

“How old are you?”

Should I lie, or would they be cool with my age?

“Erm…fifteen,” I whispered, head down.

“Sorry?”

“Fifteen,” I said a little louder this time.

“Woah, well okay, aren’t you a little young?”

“Don’t all teenagers sneak off at some point? I’m here with my friend, she’s the same age, but she looks older so they let us in.”

Adam seemed quite interested in Shannon and asked me to bring her.

I felt jealous; why should Shannon get the boys all the time? Hot rage bubbled inside me and a part of me that was usually kept locked up and under-control decided to roam.

“She’s a little busy,” I started. “She met this boy, and well, you can guess the rest.”

“Ah,”

I wanted to give them the impression that Shannon was a little minx, a boy always on her arm.

“But, I’m free,” I hinted.

“Cool, why don’t you stay here for a while?”

“Okay,”

He handed round the bottle, but I declined, and when they started smoking I made an excuse to leave.

“Hey, why don’t you give me your number and then maybe you can meet us again?” Adam said, smiling broadly, a cigarette dangling from his perfect, white teeth.

“Sure,” I replied, I wrote it on a piece of scrap paper and put a little heart next to my name.

“See ya,” they called after me.

I had just opened the door and stepped outside when Shannon ran up to me, her eyes wide and unblinking.

“Elise!” she cried, flinging her arms around me.

“Shannon!” I gasped, stumbling a little.

“I’ve been looking for you for ages! I saw you on the stage, and then the next minute you disappeared! I can’t believe they chose you! Wow!” she gabbled.

“What have you been doing? What about that boy you were with?” I asked, steering her towards the exit. But she lingered near a group of laughing boys.

“A total loser, anyway, never mind what I’ve been doing, what have you been doing?”

“Nothing, really. They asked for my number, well the leader of the band did. The others were a little quiet and one of them really weird! They started drinking and smoking, so I made an excuse to leave.”

“Wow! I can’t believe they want to see you again! They’re obviously really cool! They might even get famous! You should’ve introduced me, did you not tell them about me?”

I stared down at my small feet, “They didn’t give me a chance to talk, they were mostly chatting amongst themselves.” I lied.

“Oh, are they all single?”

“I honestly don’t know, we hardly chatted at all. Like I said, I left when they started smoking.”

“Why though? Surely you could’ve live through it. I mean, at least they were only smoking and drinking. They seemed really nice on stage too! And they’re obviously all amazing at singing and whatnot. Why do you have to be such a baby?”

I felt hurt, I was just being cautious, not boring.

“I wanted to find you too…” I lied again, but Shannon interrupted me.

“Don’t lie, El, you’re not good at it.”

But she took in all my other lies.

“I’m not, it’s just that I was a little shocked that this was all happening to be honest, I felt a little overwhelmed.”

“Seriously, sometimes you can be so boring.”

I ignored her and tried to lead her out of the club, succeeding when a few other, older girls, dressed in a lot less than Shannon, sauntered-or rather tottered- up to the boys Shannon was eyeing.

We stepped out, the cold bit at my bare arms and Shannon shivered beside me.

“Ready to go home?” I asked.

“Not yet…” she replied, peering around the corner at a group of clubbers trotting round the corner, on their way to one of the other well-lit nightclubs in town.

I shook my head.