Escape

SHE LOOKED AROUND BEFORE reaching down, shaking her brother's shoulder. Crow startled awake, his eyes wild as he lurched up.

Sky shook her head, waving her hands in the air. Be quiet! she signed, swallowing. Come on. We've got to go.

He stared at her. What? He shook his head. Sky, we can't. They're going to catch us. The Warbler birds are going to come! They're going to find us!

She gripped his hands, squeezing them tight as she met his gaze. The metal thorns around his neck had yet to heal, and the skin around the punctures was still puffy and red. Fear spiked down her spine, and she shook her head.

We can't stay here. She wasn't going to stay here any longer, and she wasn't going to leave Crow. Their mother was dead already, and Sky wouldn't let either of them be next. Everyone is asleep. I made sure the raft was outside, and the packs are with me. Please, Crow. We've got to get out.

Her brother continued to stare, his body shaking. Are you sure? She crouched down, placing her hands on his shoulders, and nodded.

I'm not leaving you behind, Crow.

###

THE WAVES WERE SILENT as she pushed the raft forward. Crow was already on, sitting cross-legged as he watched her. Come on, he signed. You're going to go too deep. We can't swim.

She nodded, forcing a shaky smile on her face as the water rose to her knees. With a quick push, she hurried on the raft, her stomach roiling as the makeshift boat lurched back and forth.

What's going on? he signed quickly, shaking his head. Why is it doing that?

It's alright. She raised her hands in the air. It's fine. It won't sink.

Crow nodded again, slumping back down as he hugged his knees. The moonlight reflected in his eyes, the bright orange almost seeming to glow.

Sky scooted over next to him, reaching out to take his hand. He squeezed it back; he was trembling, she realized, and she let out a long breath.

Please. She looked up at the sky, and the stars twinkled down at her. Please let us survive.