History of Dia Los Muertos/what is Dia Los Muertos?

How did Dia Los Muertos come as a yearly celebration?

Have you ever wondered where the traditions and customs of Dia Los Muertos cane from?

It is no surprise that Dia Los Muertos combines the all souls day and all saints Day, accustomed to the classic European Roman Catholic Christian traditions. But before all of the rise of the Roman Catholic Christian beliefs, Dia Los Muertos actually came into effect 3000 years prior, with the first celebrations of the departed souls by the Aztec peoples of Southern Mexico.

Legend behind Dia Los Angelitos:

Mictecacihuatl:

Mictecacihuatl was known as the "lady of the dead

Mictecacihuatl was known as the "lady of the dead." She ruled the underworld, and watched over the bones of the dead, which the Aztecs believed were a source of life in the next world. Her grinning skull face is strongly associated with Dia de Muertos.

Legend has it, that Mictecacihuatl is said to have died in childbirth, this is rumoured to begin the November 1st traditions of Dia Los Angelitos (Day of the innocents)

And dia Los Muertos lands on the second day of November, following Dia Los Angelitos.

Dia Los Angelitos:

Dia Los Angelitos: also known as day of the little angels, is the first official day of the celebration of Dia Los Muertos, by welcoming the spirits of the deceased children on November 1st.

As children come through from the land of the dead first on dia Los Muertos, parents and family members would put toys and cadeveras on the Offrenda. They would also place candy and fruity beverages on the Offrenda.

Dia Los Muertos:

Dia Los Muertos:, also known as Day of the Dead, is after the little children come through, it is the turn of other adult family members to come through. Although in a later chapter will explain how the ancestors come through on Dia Los Muertos.

On dia Los Muertos, the families attend parades and graveside vigils in local cemeteries, church services, in part to their Catholic Christian beliefs, and also, a lot of cooking and baking in the preparation for dia Los Muertos is highly important. Which will be explained in later chapters in more detail.

Remembering the dead and honouring their lives is a ancient custom of this most sacred ritual of Dia Los Muertos, as it is vital that families would tell their children of the current generation the story of their ancestors on Dia Los Muertos, if not, then if they forget who was the matriarch or patriarch of the family, and if they do forget them, then those ancestors would disappear from the land of the dead. Because there is a rule, if there's nobody left of the family of the deceased to remember their ancestors in the land of the living, then the spirit disappears from the land of the dead forever.

Which it is vital to continue telling the children of the family the story of their main lineage, who their ancestors are, what they loved in life. The main tradition is to remember those ancestors, and help the children remember that nothing is more important than family. As family does come first.