Repetition

As Toby walked up the boringly straight flat street, he knew he was about to enter a familiar world. A world that he knew all too well. A world made up of two worlds combined. A world he loved, his home. A world he hated, his mind. So angry, so lost and so confused. No choice but to be composed. Toby wiped his rugged business shoes on the furry brown doormat, his shaved head slightly sparkling underneath the dimmed porch light which continued to do it's best to shine, despite not having had its bulb replaced in over a year.

"Hey", Toby grunted as he threw his black and lime backpack down in the hallway. He knew she deserved a better greeting, but it's all Toby could give his girlfriend Rubie at the time. It was going to be one of those nights, the weight of the world crushing Toby with every thought, unable to stop it. Another night pleading with himself to just wake up a normal person tomorrow morning. Another night begging any powerful force in the world that cared enough to listen to take away the cloud that followed him anywhere he went. Another night, paralysed by the growing pain.

Even though he didn't know who he was, he was unable to comprehend what he did to deserve to be who he suspected he might be.