Chapter 6: Find the Lady

When Neal arrived at Alex's hotel room, she opened the door immediately. "Did you get it?" she demanded.

"Of course," he said calmly.

She scanned him, noting he'd come empty-handed. "What's your secret?"

He shrugged. "It's February in New York. I wouldn't go outside without an overcoat." He slipped it off. "This is one of Mozzie's custom tailoring jobs with a concealed pocket in the back."

Alex smiled appreciatively. "A neat trick. Does Mozzie take commissions from others?"

"I'm sure he would for you."

She retrieved her briefcase from the closet and placed it on the bed. "We'll give the feds quite a show. They'll think the jewelry's inside the briefcase. You're sure they don't suspect anything?"

"Positive." They don't suspect. They already know. "When the agents storm the van, I'll conceal the painting so they won't discover it. Once I fence it, I'll send you a cut." He handed her the canvas.

Alex frowned as she placed it in the briefcase. "You should let me fence it. I have better contacts than you."

"The painting stays with me," Neal insisted. "I shouldered the responsibility of stealing it. Don't you trust me?"

"You know I do."

Neal didn't challenge her statement. He was glad she didn't ask the same of him. "In any case, you need to stay around to be a witness against Wilkes. It will be much easier for me to keep it safe."

"All right, we'll do it your way." The fact she gave in so easily was telling.

Alex glanced at her watch. "It will probably be an hour before Wilkes calls." She nodded toward the bed. "I know of a way to ease the stress."

"Forget it," Neal said bluntly.

She shrugged. "Can't blame a girl for trying. You're really serious about Sara, aren't you?"

He hesitated for only a second. "Yeah, I am. She doesn't deserve to suffer from my mistakes." He dropped into a side chair, relieved that for once he could speak the truth.

Alex stood behind him and massaged the taut muscles in his neck. "You just can't help yourself, can you?" she murmured into his ear. "I can see exactly how it played out. Steinar ordered you to get close to her. How long did it take for you to become smitten? I hear she's gorgeous."

Neal didn't answer. He was fine with her imagining whatever fantasy made sense to her. And she did give an excellent neck massage.

"You said she knows about your past, and yet she still wants to date you." Alex snorted softly. "Are you sure she's not playing you?"

Neal jerked his neck away. "Yes, I'm sure," he said angrily.

"Hey, don't get mad at me. I like you, Caffrey. I don't want you to get hurt."

Her cell phone buzzed. She retrieved it from her Greek woven tote and listened for a moment. Looking up, she said, "We're to meet Wilkes at 11th Avenue and West 54th Street."

Neal had already pulled out his phone. He texted Peter the location. The clock was now reset. The blackout in East Harlem should happen within a few minutes. "Time to get you wired," he told Alex.

She smiled flirtatiously. "As long as I have to be subjected to it, let's make it more interesting." She stripped off her sweater to reveal a skimpy black lace bra. "Have your way with me," she added in a sultry voice.

Neal chuckled despite himself.

"That's better," she said smugly. "I knew I could loosen you up. Don't you need to place some of the bugs lower down?" Her hand reached for the zipper of her low-cut corduroy jeans.